Facemasks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trainee neophyte":rg407rz6 said:
Greece has its third case today, shipped in from Italy. To show that they care, the government has cancelled all the carnivals due to happen this week and next. The really big one is in Patras, which can attract 35-40,000 people taking part in the parade (according to the rather gushing wikipedia article, that is). Allegedly millions watch. Probably best to cancel it then. Our rather more modest village carnival has also been cancelled, just in case. There's always next year, I suppose.

We are going shopping this afternoon, to stock up on essentials such as bread flour, antibiotics and cold relief medicines. This is not because I am panicking, but because I know that everyone else will be panicking, and he who panics first, panics best (works in the stock market, too). Bear in mind that come mid-March, the lack of production in China is going to start to feed into the system - Amazon is going to be out of stock quite a bit, I believe. Apparently China also manufactures the vast majority of prescription drugs (certainly the case for America, I don't know if this is also the case for Europe), so lack of production could have some interesting knock-on effects.

We are certainly living in interesting times.

What good would an antibiotic be against a virus?

Nigel.

Roger, where is your medic getting 20% from please? The WHO were quoting 2% not long ago; has your medic indicated an increased mutation rate in the virus, leading to its greater potency?

Sam

EDIT. "Morbidity" is disease occurence, "mortality" is deaths.
20% of people will get symptoms, 2% of people will...

Sorry, Roger, skim reading and not thinking...

Sam

SammyQ":1u3fj2mz said:
EDIT. "Morbidity" is disease occurence, "mortality" is deaths.
20% of people will get symptoms, 2% of people will...

Sorry, Roger, skim reading and not thinking...

Sam

No worries, Sam...I can understand your concern and hope the coffee didn't soak too much into your keyboard when you read it !

First off, Trainee neophyte wrote, QUTE: Apparently China also manufactures the vast majority of prescription drugs (certainly the case for America, I don't know if this is also the case for Europe), so lack of production could have some interesting knock-on effects. UNQUOTE:

I have a number of medicines (tablets) on a daily basis. Most of these are "Generica" (I forget the English word, but where some other company makes them when the originators' patent has run out). The reason for using them is that they're cheaper than the original label versions, so if they work (which they mostly do) then I'm all for saving a bit of money for my health care premiums.

Anyway, I've just re-ordered my regular pain killers but they're not available for at least a week because they're made in China. My wife who worked in pharma before she retired (though not on the technical side) confirmed that many of the Generica medicines are indeed made in China. Who knew? Not me.

Next, I always take what I read in the papers/hear/see of the news with several LARGE shovelfuls of salt, and normally pay zero attention to all the stories of doom and gloom.

BUT:

Switzerland shares a border with Italy, which now has a number of confirmed cases. The nearest part of Switzerland to Italy (Kanton Tessin) has now cancelled this weekend's forthcoming carnival (normally it's HUGE down there).

But at the same time, while "grenzgangers" (people who live in Italy but work in Switzerland) are crossing the border twice a day, MUST wear masks during their travel (and that new reg comes from the Italian NOT the Swiss authorities)! Meantime there is (always has been) Customs and Immigration blokes manning the various Swiss/Italian border road crossing points who carry out regular random checks. The people on the Italian side are wearing face masks but the people on the Swiss side are NOT wearing any protection at all - AND you can get on a train in any big town in Switzerland and take a train direct through to Milan or Rome without any precautions being taken at all - and it seems, vice-versa too. The Swiss Minister of Health says he's "watching the situation very carefully but no action is being taken at present because he doesn't want to start an unnecessary panic!

Meantime, there's been 1 confirmed case in Basel, 20 mins drive up the road from us, and another 2 cases confirmed in a small town about 30 mins drive in the other direction.

In short, all the available information is not only conflicting (with adjoining country's officials taking completely different approaches) but is absolutely BOUND to be (IMO) highly exaggerated if journalists are involved in telling the "story".

As above, normally I would completely ignore the whole babble, just like the millennium bug (remember that one?) or Ebola for example.

BUT I have another BUT!

One thing the whole hubbub does seem to agree on is that it's mainly old people who are at risk, especially if they already have a medical problem.

OK, so my wife is 78, has COPD, and has both heart/circulation and iron deficiency problems. So I should I worry on her behalf?

(For myself I really couldn't give a tinker's, having survived completely unscathed from far more "dangerous" things in various parts of the world)!

And more to the point, IF I should be worried about her (she actually does mean an awful lot to me :D ), what should/can I do to mitigate that worry?

The above last Questions are written in all seriousness.

"Confused, no longer of Tonbridge Wells"

dont go out unless it is essential. wear a face mask and gloves if you do, wash hands very often if you have to go out.Try not to handle ANYTHING unless absolutely essential.
Definitely stock up on regular medicines.
Regardless of conflicting "numbers" it will get worse before it gets better.

At the risk of being re-christened "Canute"...I can see NO point in wearing a facemask...unless...you actually HAVE Covid-19. That way, your droplets are (partially?) contained(?). Facemasks - as worn by
Joe Public - will NOT act as a prophylactic, despite the 9999999 million people thinking it will.

Sam

If someone who HAS the virus, sneezes directly at you or even in very close proximity, the face mask will stop you swallowing the water droplets.
Its a lot better than nothing.
Of course, if you are sneezed on by an infected person, you would then need to be run through a full disinfecting station before you could remove the mask and wash your clothes and body.

OK gents, thanks for the inputs.

If the various "powers that be" don't seem able to sing from the same song sheet I didn't really expect anything else except conflicting views from "unqualified" people (all due respect, really) but there's some pretty sensible people on here, so anyone else with a view to chip in is welcome.

In the meantime we have an appointment to see the GP next Monday. See what the expert has to say. At present my good lady is not experiencing any out of the ordinary symptoms (and BTW, I'm very proud of her, she gave up smoking last November, "just like that").

(NO, I will NOT be joining her) :?

Nigel Burden":lctnilg5 said:
What good would an antibiotic be against a virus?

Nigel.

Glad you brought that up: the answer is nothing, zilch, didlysquat etc. We never take antibiotics, but one day, just when you need some...

Greece already has issues with sourcing drugs, and having a course of antibiotics in the cupboard, "just in case", is three euros well spent. It is more about disrupted supply chains because of China than diseases, per se. I would expect large nations with big bank rolls to be higher up the list, should there be distribution issues.

Completely precautionary, and almost certainly unnecessary. A step too far, probably. Frankly, I wouldn't have bothered, but the Chief Disaster Relief Operations Manager told me were were getting some, so there you go.

Seeing as the subject has changed a bit.
Antibiotics (types) are specific to particular bacteria.
So one might work and another not.
Which is why they are restricted to prescription in the uk.
The layman man having guess is the cause of the loss of efficiency due to immunity.

lurker":2m7bwso5 said:
Seeing as the subject has changed a bit.
Antibiotics (types) are specific to particular bacteria.
So one might work and another not.
Which is why they are restricted to prescription in the uk.
The layman man having guess is the cause of the loss of efficiency due to immunity.

Yup. DIY diagnoses are a mugs game. Being able to buy antibiotics over the counter is counter-productive, and may mean the end of antibiotics in not too many years. However, if it's what you've got, then go with it. Come the fall of civilization we could probably trade a packet for a chicken. More likely to cure your ailment than the pills.

Trainee neophyte":3ph1pv4t said:
... However, if it's what you've got, then go with it. Come the fall of civilization we could probably trade a packet for a chicken. More likely to cure your ailment than the pills.

Not if they're feral like the ones in Jersey.

AES":2quoj0bq said:
In short, all the available information ... is absolutely BOUND to be (IMO) highly exaggerated if journalists are involved in telling the "story".
I can agree with that. Any event where I know what really happened has been rather different when described in the press, whether that be local rags or supposedly reputable national publications.

OK, so my wife is 78, has COPD, and has both heart/circulation and iron deficiency problems. So I should I worry on her behalf?
Absolutely. Better to worry and be proven wrong rather than not worry and be proven wrong.

IF I should be worried about her (she actually does mean an awful lot to me :D ), what should/can I do to mitigate that worry?
Ah, now that is the 64,000 dollar question. The only advice I have seen online is to maintain high hygiene standards, take care over your diet and sleep patterns (to help your immune system) and minimise contact with other people. Beyond that, who knows?

I had the flu just after Christmas. It was unpleasant and kept me bed-ridden for the best part of a week. I'm 69, I live alone and I survived with little external intervention (my daughter brought me some Lem-sips). By all accounts the symptoms of Coronavirus are not as bad as influenza so I'm not the least bit worried for my personal health.

I appreciate that it may be fatal to those in bad health already, as is influenza, which kills tens of thousands every year*, and I understand the need for precautions but Jeez people, get a grip. It seems like we are descending into panic.

*14,000 people have died and 250,000 people have been hospitalized during the 2019-2020 flu season, according to preliminary estimates from the CDC.

Some facts for you: http://weekly.chinacdc.cn/en/article/id ... a8db1a8f51

An easier read which references this: https://www.moonofalabama.org/2020/02/c ... bally.html

The important bit:
corona17-s.jpg

Thanks Just4Fun. Yeah, from my own experience of things I've KNOWN about in full detail (e.g. couple of air crashes) I KNOW for a fact that journalists just cannot be trusted to present even 5% of the real facts without adding their own "slant". (95% are ignorant idiots IMO, not worth the oxygen they consume - excepting Laura Kuensberg that is)

And thanks for the advice too mate - pretty much what I've already concluded - basically stay in (weather's turned carp anyway) and wait until we see the GP on Monday.

Thanks for the figures Trainee neophyte. Yup, they line up pretty much with numbers I've got from other sources.

But what's REALLY gripping my dung with this one is all the conflicting advice from those who "should know". E.G. Our National Govt health minister was on TV again tonight saying in effect "don't panic, we're watching it carefully, but do nothing for now, no need for alarm, we don't want to scare the ("horses" - i.e. read) tourists". While the same day, the health minister for one of the Kantons (don't forget we're "federal" here) has already banned a huge (1,000s of participants) ski marathon planned for next weekend "as a precaution", and another Kanton has already banned the forthcoming Carnival processions, with, looking like, other Kantons to follow soon. And the Swiss do NOT give up their Carnival lightly, I tell you.

AND ALL the surrounding country's health ministries (Italy, Germany, France, Austria,) are ALL doing and saying something different - in some cases not just slightly different but RADICALLY different.

Pah!!!!!!! HUMBUG!

Bet it all turns out to be another SARS or millennium bug scare though (he says hopefully) :D

Oh, P.S: @Trevanion, I forgot, sorry - the Pope, lovely one mate! (But you should have seen some official gink (Italian I think) on our TV tonight "putting on" his face mask - got the 2 strings in a twist, ended up with almost pulling his glasses off and with the "paper flat" covering his eyes but leaving his mouth uncovered). Best laugh I've had for ages, Peter Sellars couldn't have done it any better if he tried.

AES":z5i2b5g1 said:
Oh, P.S: @Trevanion, I forgot, sorry - the Pope, lovely one mate! (But you should have seen some official gink (Italian I think) on our TV tonight "putting on" his face mask - got the 2 strings in a twist, ended up with almost pulling his glasses off and with the "paper flat" covering his eyes but leaving his mouth uncovered). Best laugh I've had for ages, Peter Sellars couldn't have done it any better if he tried.

That reminds me of a time in work once where me and a work colleague were carrying an especially heavy door and he had a habit of leaving his dust mask just above his forehead when it wasn't over his mouth and on this occasion he was walking backward and the mask suddenly slipped down from his forehead straight over his eyes, he couldn't take his hand off the 100KG door to move the mask and he couldn't see a bloody thing so I had to guide him backward with directions "Left a bit... No, my left!"

I think that was the funniest thing I've seen happen in work, I'm grinning like an silly person now just thinking about it :lol:

Back