Epoxy and dyes for flooring repair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noel

Staff member
Reaction score
We've a good bit of pitched pine flooring and it's due for a refurb (sanding and 4 coats of varnish). Some of the knots have fallen out and I was going to fill the holes with with epoxy and dye. West System epoxy should do the job? What about dyes? Ordinary powder type? Or any other ideas?

Rgds

Noel

Noel":2mex0w8x said:
We've a good bit of pitched pine flooring and it's due for a refurb (sanding and 4 coats of varnish). Some of the knots have fallen out and I was going to fill the holes with with epoxy and dye. West System epoxy should do the job? What about dyes? Ordinary powder type? Or any other ideas?

Rgds

Noel

Do you want the knotholes to look like knots (i.e. dark brown)? Or do you want them to be light like the surrounding pine? If you want them to look like knots, just mix in some powdered coffee. :D

Brad

Want them to look like knots. So, a jar of Nescafe? No sugar? Seriously, good idea Brad. West epoxy should be ok as I've never used West products before. I guess there's no end to what you can add to epoxy. Thanks for the tip.

I've used maple wood flour as a filler for epoxy. When wetted with the epoxy it turns a drak brown similar to pine knots. Surpirsed me that it changed color so much the first time I did it. Mahogany would work, too. Give you more of a reddish color. You can make your own wood flour by collecting sanding dust while sanding a piece of wood. Don't use saw dust though. It is too coarse and will leave you with a rough surface.

Noel":30y05qsv said:
So, a jar of Nescafe? No sugar?

Well, I don't drink the stuff, so I've got to do something with it. :lol: Just make sure you pulverise it into a powder first.

Here's a couple photos of an oak knot filled with epoxy/coffee. The contrast between the "real" part of the knot and the filler is exaggerated in the photo. I think it may be because the wood reflects the flash more than the epoxy.

mantel006.jpg
`

mantel003.jpg

As DaveR suggests, wood flour is another good option. Had no idea that maple turns dark in epoxy. :-k

Brad

Latest posts

Back