Entertainment Unit - with WIP pics

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

promhandicam

Established Member
Reaction score
This is the first 'proper' bit of furniture I have made since coming here to Lomé, so I thought that I'd share with you the steps in its construction. Before I start, I’d like to acknowledge the fact that without this forum and the generous advice of many different members this project would never have come to fruition.

As some of you may remember, from a recent thread, once upon a time I worked as a design draughtsman, so you might imagine there would be a nice detailed drawing that I worked from. Well, I did try to do something in Sketch-Up but I just can’t get the hang of it. As I don’t have access to a drawing board, in the end, as I could visualise what I wanted, I did it pretty much all in my head – with the exception of a few calculations to work out a cutting list.

The first stage was to prepare the wood which I bought from a local carpenter friend. He told me that it is teak but I am pretty sure that it is actually Afrormosia, a native of Ghana where both the wood (and he) comes from. When I got the boards they were quite rough as they’d been dimensioned with a chainsaw. So the boards had to be planned and squared up before being glued up to make some panels. The method used to clamp up the panels was one that Scrit suggested and seemed to work well. I used biscuits to help with alignment.

209986563d94dbeab3f4a10c4f762a9b7f380836ef53d40b87eb2571b8a82a7f01668fa0.jpg

Once the panels were glued up I moved on to making the draws. For this I used my newly acquired dovetail jig which once set up proved to be very good.

8600088674409c40ebe5253b4b3e500cc1f83c5dbfa0a03c2847a042ebb3626b8ac793d9.jpg

A pile of draw front and sides.

023911198c2db474e47493a6f6db97817e334442fdaf0220415beceafe422939757644b0.jpg

The groove for the plywood bottom was cut on the table saw which entailed having to remove the riving knife and guard. :oops: Although not necessarily safer I thought that it was a lot simpler than doing it with a hand held router. It did take a bit of thinking about to figure out that the groove had to be inline with one of the pins so that it didn’t show when assembled.

4015373664b2770718531e9636d30e6cb2a1e8f257c6c50a5cbb1725.jpg

Once the draws were assembled I then moved on to assembling the carcase. If I do it again I would not make one large (just over 2m long) unit but would do it in two pieces - something similar to the units that Lord Nibbo made for his Hi-Fi. I’d also probably go for a different construction method altogether, but it was too late to turn back by this stage. I used ratchet straps and clamps and biscuits and glue and my son to get the sides attached to the middle shelf and bottom rails.

96172988d731eea0dd66144f0cd58ae283f9c24c22ba8deb68e59e51608babc228d0fb1a.jpg

To help with clamping I screwed on some temporary blocks on the rails and underneath the shelf.

012670595b25ac1c28cdb76398e1b3c53dae1b805753364ced3b682d2bc0b4753cfd6530.jpg

Once the carcase was glued up I then installed the draws, using locally acquired runners. I found it fairly easy to get everything in straight doing it this way – plus any error could be hidden quite effectively as I had decided to use separate draw fronts.

44021782697cd21fba7cf72b1ea3d20fde51eb44dd68ee831fa1098ba151ba2029128c23.jpg

I then added the feet which I cut down from some 8cm x 8cm. These were screwed on. The dividers for the open part were also screwed on from underneath. Then the top was glued in place using biscuits for location and strength. In one corner I did end up having to put in a screw as for some reason the corner lifted. Once plugged however it doesn’t really notice.

Finally the draw fronts were cut to size, screwed to the draws and then planned to get an even gap around them. The draw on the far end is actually a double depth draw as I wanted somewhere to keep my small collection of albums. I did this by just leaving the bottom out of the top draw and then fixing the two draws together. I’m not sure if this is the best way but it seems to do the job!

785721743c937a16e1ef4c321f52b8a060cb471b6e43e59d1f3a7eeca672249f02cbdebe.jpg

The final finish was 2 coats of Patina which is dead easy to apply and I think gives a nice finish. Despite appearances, the wood wasn’t stained – it seems to be a feature of Afrormosia that it changes colour significantly when a finish is applied. I’ve also found that before finishing, the wood darkens quite considerably when exposed to sunlight – even for short periods.

The cost of the wood, not that it is really relevant for most people reading this, worked out at about £40 – total cost including all the hardware, finish etc. probably about £70. Number of hours work – don’t ask!

The end result is something that I am happy with and more importantly the LOML is very happy with.

55844182803363615fccda00a42b761104edbee6d4dd6633bc0c5b8e30e556ad88cd7d28.jpg

Thanks again for reading all this – any constructive comments or questions would as usual be appreciated!

Steve

Very nice, Steve =D> =D>

promhandicam":2ujdco78 said:
I then moved on to assembling the carcase. If I do it again I would not make one large (just over 2m long) unit but would do it in two pieces

I've fallen into this trap before :roll: What I now try to do is to work out how I'm going to glue and cramp it together as part of the design process. Saves lots of headaches.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Steve,
It looks great. Afrormosia can go a nice chocolate brown colour quite quickly with exposure to light. I have also used it outside where it weathers to the usual pleasant grey colour that may woods go outdoors.

You say that you glued the top in place - how are you allowing for wood movement?

waterhead37":9tf7s8zl said:
You say that you glued the top in place - how are you allowing for wood movement?

Hi Chris and thanks for your question. I'm maybe being naive, but as the grain in the ends and the top are all in the same direction and the joints line up I am hoping that any expansion or contraction that takes place will be uniform. Also from what I can gather, Afrormosia is pretty stable and so hopefully won't move much - time will tell!

Steve

Steve - useful looking project. I've done a little bit of work some years ago in aformosia and its quite nice stuff iirc, tends to be a little bit interlocked but finishes quite well and takes a good polish - Rob

Steve

Nice looking project, although like Chris I'm a bit concerned about the top being glued in place, it would be nice if any expansion / contraction was uniform but this is not always the case.
If you have climatised the wood before construction then you may not have a problem with movement.

I guess the main thing is that it looks a really nive piece, no wonder SWMBO likes it.

Steve,
I think that double depth drawer is quite a neat solution as in the future, if required, you can always revert it back to two drawers - clever.

Andy

Steve

Your write up makes it all sound too easy :) How did you go about holding the carcass together?

Very nice looking project, by the way.

nice one steve, i learnt long ago not to make things too big, but you actually have to do it to understand what a PITA it is if you can't hold the clamps in the right place on your own. :roll:

it does look good though, lets hope your climate keeps it stable.

paul :wink:

Back