Elm Cabinet III...DUN

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No sign of Sigourney though!

That is looking very nice and i love the book matching in the back.

Personally I really like elm, yes it can be an ar*se to work but with care it will take a fantastic finish.

If you get stuck and need any to finish the job let me know - I sorted my woodstore last week and have loads of elm so I could easily help you out if necessary.

Keep up the good work

Rog

Dodge":3qp7foml said:
If you get stuck and need any to finish the job let me know - I sorted my woodstore last week and have loads of elm so I could easily help you out if necessary.

Keep up the good work

Rog
Rog, that's a very kind offer and much appreciated, but I've got plenty of the stuff in stock as well..in fact when I go to Yandles I make a point of buying a bit each time. I like it as well and if the wood is chosen with a little bit of care and sympathy, it's not too bad to work with...needs plenty of seasoning though :wink: On this piece, I'm determined to get all the visible timber out of just the one large lump to demonstrate to myself that the wastage which we all take for granted needn't necessarily be the case and that a piece can be made quite frugally with careful thought about how the timber is converted. On this particular lump, there were lots of difficult grain and knots, so the big LN scraper plane has been invaluable. I've just order the Brusso knife hinges from CHT which are going to be the most expensive part of this project :shock: - Rob

I must admit I hate wood wastage and minimise my waste all the time.

Glad you are ok

cheers

rog

woodbloke":3bjc78v7 said:
I'm probably at just over the half way stage with this one now and thus far, it's together and looks a bit like this:

DSC_0006-3.jpg

All the veneering has been done, with the substrate being odds n'sods of oil tempered hardboard laminated together, which makes a reality solid and heavy composite material :shock: The little white rectangle at the bottom is a 6mm deep recess for the door catch and the door itself has yet to be shot into the opening. Construction is with 6mm doms and by shooting a fraction off each one it allows an element of 'slidability' so that the rear surfaces can be lined up exactly.

Another shot a little more from the front:

DSC_0005-2.jpg

...shows the door again, with a rather nice grain pattern to it and the back panel, roughly in the position it'll take up when finished (rear frame yet to be made) All edges are very 'hard' at the moment , but once they're softened a little the prominent veneer thickness (2mm) won't be so easily noticed. Comments as ever appreciated...anyone see the alien? 8-[ - Rob

Very nice, old JK really hit on something didn't he =P~

Yep, it is a JKish piece but then I've always liked his tall, skinny cabinets. Not for everyone, I have to admit, but I like the style - Rob

woodbloke":2zkg01zd said:
Yep, it is a JKish piece but then I've always liked his tall, skinny cabinets. Not for everyone, I have to admit, but I like the style - Rob

I love them. It was a Cabinet Makers Notebook that got me into serious woodwork in the 70's. Lots of people (woodworkers) loathe them but, for me, it is what it is about.

Hi Rob, looking nice so far, can you just confirm that all the parts shown are veneered panels, none of it solid?

I have quite a bit of elm as well, made a nice box just before Christmas and you are correct, it is lovely to work with, I found it even easier and more friendly than cherry.......and the box has come up a treat with some oil and wax.

Cheers, Mark

markturner":2jeuiqvj said:
Hi Rob, looking nice so far, can you just confirm that all the parts shown are veneered panels, none of it solid?

Cheers, Mark
Mark, yep, everything you see has been veneered with 3mm veneers cut on the bandsaw, apart from the alien on the back panel which is book matched from the solid. It is easy to work with, provided you can pick and choose your pieces...in this particular case, as I was getting it all out of one lump of elm, I had to work with the timber I had, warts n'all - Rob

After the comments about Gasman's JK cabinet last night, feel free to have a go at this one:

DSC_0016.jpg

It's a pretty simple thing, but remember the object was to get all the show pieces out of one lump of timber. Pic above shows the door closed and when it's open:

DSC_0018.jpg

...something's looking at you in an evil sorta way :shock:

Not very big detail shot of the JKish sprung loaded door catch:

DSC_0020.jpg

and the knob, turned in African Blackwood with a couple of finger pulls on the sides:

DSC_0021.jpg

...although it's very difficult to see them in the shot. Catch and knob in African Blackwood, bandsawn elm veneers over a core of laminated hardboard. Finish is two coats of matt Osmo-PolyX with teak wax over the top. No shelving fitted as I thought it would spoil the interior view when the door's opened. Comments, good, bad or indifferent :mrgreen: appreciated - Rob

Rob

It seems such a shame to shut the monster behind the doors. The figuring on that back panel is fantastic.

I assume you have some tall skinny things to store? :)

I like it's simplicity.

Mick

Lovely Rob. Shame the back panel figuring couldn't have been incorporated somehow on the front, but lovely as it is in any event, clean and simple and well proportioned.

Cheers, Paul

woodbloke":3t3wllxn said:
No shelving fitted as I thought it would spoil the interior view when the door's opened.

Very nice, Rob, but without shelves it seems like a cupboard without a purpose. Why not some glass shelves :-k

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":17oc7rlr said:
woodbloke":17oc7rlr said:
No shelving fitted as I thought it would spoil the interior view when the door's opened.

Very nice, Rob, but without shelves it seems like a cupboard without a purpose. Why not some glass shelves :-k

Cheers :wink:

Paul
Thought about it Paul, but in the end anything in the interior would get in the way of the figuring on the back panel. As it is, it's going up into a bedroom and will never see the light of day as SWIMBO now reckons the lounge is getting a bit cluttered :roll: with stuff from the 'shop. So it's going to hang on a wall in one of the bedrooms and give nightmares to whoever opens it! - Rob

Rob I love the design and the figuring etc of the wood is fantastic - but I agree I can't see the purpose of it - not that objet's d'art need a purpose. It is beautifully made
Mark

Nice simple lines but as the back is never to be seen, why not replace it with a sheet of ply and use it as the front for another piece? :)

Rod

gasman":1vkfw6lm said:
Rob I love the design and the figuring etc of the wood is fantastic - but I agree I can't see the purpose of it - not that objet's d'art need a purpose. It is beautifully made
Mark
In actual fact Mark, the real purpose of this piece was as a trial run for the next job, which will be similar...but different. I've never made a wall hung cabinet like this and it's the first time I've used the Brusso knife hinges and I was keen to see how to fit them. As it happens, they're not too bad and considerably easier than standard butt hinges, provided the right sequence of fitting is adhered to.
For the next job, I've got the back panel already and whilst it's not quite so spectacular as this one, it's still a gob smackingly beautiful piece of wood...Tiddles has seen it and was impressed! Even better, I've got two almost identical, so the job after the next one will be a floor stander similar to your current piece - Rob

Nice use of the grain Rob, and quite an elegant cabinet.
Could I ask what it is to house? Seeing no shelves... ???

9.5/10 :mrgreen:

Very nice Rob, its not like the other JK piece I've seen without the curves, it almost has that modern 60's furniture look, but not in a naff way! Nicely photographed too. I like the detail to the back panel as well, I almost appreciate it more as its slightly hidden.

Latest posts

Back