Electrical question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Smith

Established Member
Reaction score
For some reason in cold weather my table saw starts to eat 13amp fuses like sweeties. Most of the year there is no problem. I had been planning to upgrade to a 16 amp circuit but I'm a bit stuck with finding what I think I want.

Currently the table saw and planer are on their own circuit drawn from a 32amp breaker on the workshop distribution box, this feeds a 13amp fused switch on the ceiling with a pendant socket box. I want to replace the 13amp fused switch with a 16 amp equivalent and change the pendant socket to the round blue 16 amp industrial type.

My problem is finding the 16 amp fused switch, anyone know if such a thing exists or might share how they have solved this sort of power distribution problem.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Alan

Oh, and Merry Christmas to all.

[For some reason in cold weather my table saw starts to eat 13amp fuses like sweeties] It could be because you have a heaver load on your incoming electrical supply in the winter due to electric heaters and such like, this could cause the voltage to drop at your consumer box and the power to increase (more amps… bang goes your fuse!)

Mike

Hi,

Usually its wired straight back to a 16A fuse in the fuse box, if you need a switch you could use a 45A shower switch.

Pete

Yes you're right I don't really need that switch. I suppose I've got used to having it there. If I change the 32A MCB for a 16 and feed directly to the outlet, problem solved. Thanks. Sometimes hard to see the obvious!

There are two, theoretical, reasons why this occurs with cold weather. One is that the winding resistance of the motor is less, therefore a higher current will be drawn, and two, lubricant in the bearings thickens up and increases the mechanical resistance that the motor has to overcome, and once again a higher current is drawn.

Roy.

Digit":351gl125 said:
There are two, theoretical, reasons why this occurs with cold weather. One is that the winding resistance of the motor is less, therefore a higher current will be drawn, and two, lubricant in the bearings thickens up and increases the mechanical resistance that the motor has to overcome, and once again a higher current is drawn.

Roy.
Winding resistance won't change very much at all - only a few hundrdths of an ohm and this will not casue your problem.

However, the mechanical load will be higher at startup which would cause the problem if the motor was margninal on 13A fuse .

I did say 'theoretical' Tony. I agree a sizable drop in temp would be required, which was why I said 'theoretical'.

Roy.

Alan Smith":biur32gc said:
Yes you're right I don't really need that switch. I suppose I've got used to having it there. If I change the 32A MCB for a 16 and feed directly to the outlet, problem solved. Thanks. Sometimes hard to see the obvious!

Also you will probably need a C rated MCB rather than the more usual B rated.

Misterfish

Misterfish you are dead right. I actually had a 16A MCb in the spares dept. and have used this. It does chatter a bit on starting the saw, the planer is OK. I'll have to go looking for a C rated device. Thanks all for the input on this.

Alan

Back