Drill Bit Storage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveF

Established Member
Reaction score
I got a delivery today of a set of 2.. ok maybe 3 of Colt lipspur Drill bits
u know what is like...half way thru a project and u bust one
courtesy of Peter Sefton aka http://www.woodworkersworkshop.co.uk
I am sure they are not the cheapest drills you can buy,but, and a big but

they have great reviews and I would rather buy from a forum member
the service and delivery from Peter was above and beyond
i could not find these cheaper elsewhere and to be honest would not have bothered for the sake of a few pence either way

the question is?

how do I store them?

they range through the sizes in mm from 3 -19

i could just drill holes in a lump of timber and stand them up
but as you could guess the 19mm is quite tall

so i need a lay down option
they are to be used and not look pretty in plastic tubes
seperate dividers is an option
i dont want them to rattle around and beat each other up

any thoughts \ ideas please

Steve

How about something like a timber version of those plastic flip open cases? So you get to lay them down to store, flip up to use?

img695.jpg

In fact i think i might make one myself for my fisch bits. :)

I'm not sure I see the argument that they need to be laid flat because the big one is a tad tall? Not that tall to warrant being flat.

I would have thought stood in block of timber cut by the bits themselves would be the way to go - no contact to the cutting edges, ready to use and easy to setup.

That said,

carlb40's option looks a good one.

Another option would be a magnetic tool holder, should be sufficient metal on the shank to store safely without the cutting edges contacting the magnet side.

On a related note, a useful thing to integrate is to drill a hole relevant to each bit on the holder, easier to size the hole to the screws and dowels than the bit to them (if that makes sense).

Hi

Buy a cheapo set and use the case they come in - that way you'll already have storage for the rest you buy in the future. :wink:

I'd keep the 19mm in a tube - it's surprisingly easy to damage the cutting spurs and very frustrating to find the drill is damaged the next time you need to use it.

Regards Mick

Hi Steve

Firstly let me say you have made a solid purchase. I've had these bits for a while and they cut beautifully clean holes.

I've had mine a long time and can't actually remember where I bought them, however they came in a individual plastic sleeves with a a hanging loop. I simply hang them on pins on the wall mounted behind my pillar drill. Maybe you could try and find a solution to replicate this.

I would take a photo, but it's dark and my garden is flooded so I'm not venturing near the workshop :-(

Jon

Hi Steve
Thanks for the order and waiting for the special sizes to come from Germany, I have been using them in my workshop and have found them very clean cutting. As Jon said most of mine are kept in the plastic box set but the odd sizes in the plastic sleeves either hanging up or in a plastic box.
We have just taken our first delivery of Kaizen foam http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBnkwroSQCw what I might do is cut them in foam and keep them in a Systainer case, its a great way of storing kit although the drill bits might get a bit lost in the dark foam :(
Cheers Peter

Another option would be to find a suitable size piece of hardwood and rout out individual slots for each one, lying horizontal. Then add a hinged lid.

I have nibe stood in holes in the bottom of a drawer below the pillar drill, in the same way that you see router bits stored in a router table. If the 19mm is to tall then I would probably go for Carib40s idea which I quite like.

carlb40":3gs4jfev said:
Peter Sefton":3gs4jfev said:
Alexam":3gs4jfev said:
Just ordered thgese for scroll saw blades 140mm. May help,

Courtesy of Martin in the scroll saw section

Alex
download/file.php?id=22562&t=1

I like the simplicity of Andy's idea, but where did you get the tubes from Alex :?:
Cheers Peter
Look like test tubes to me Peter?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-20ml-Pla ... 233562d43c

They even have the same green for Festool users :mrgreen:

I call that shade of green Envy :mrgreen: Thanks Peter

some good ideas there

Andy I like your idea

I wonder if I clamped 2 pieces of hardwood together I could drill between them?

then just route out the tip part to extend the holes to compensate for the length in the chuck
if i route out over size it would give me some space to get my fat fingers in

worth a gamble

Steve

SteveF":1dvimcfr said:
some good ideas there

Andy I like your idea

then just route out the tip part to extend the holes to compensate for the length in the chuck

worth a gamble

Steve
Or to make sure it works, drill the holes as above in a single piece of timber then cut it down the centre splitting the holes after?

carlb40":bu7h3uxd said:
SteveF":bu7h3uxd said:
some good ideas there

Andy I like your idea

worth a gamble

Steve
Or to make sure it works, drill the holes as above in a single piece of timber then cut it down the centre splitting the holes after?

would that make the holes too small with the kerf thickness of cut ?

Steve

Good point Steve, i was thinking more safety and making sure the bits don't wander. :oops:

carlb40":3i607xgo said:
Good point Steve, i was thinking more safety and making sure the bits don't wander. :oops:
i was going to put them in the pillar drill and clamp a tall fence

Steve

I haven't read every post but when I made a drill bit holder out of a wooden block I found that the moister in the wood caused them to rust a bit. May have used the wrong wood ,but.... I was going to seal the holes with varnish or similar but never did. Threw it away. Hope this is of some help as food for thought. Best wishes.

Latest posts

Back