Drill bit for bench dogs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, that won't make a hole that is very round or very accurate in size.
One of these would be much better, but not in your router

I used imperial dogs in my bench so i bought a imperial drill bit to match, i think it was called a blacksmith bit from memory but it looked similar to what you posted but much longer ( but had a reduced shank to fit in a drill) but it was always intended to be used in a drill not a router. I liked the idea of using a full length bit (not forstner) as depending on the thickness of your bench, the standard spiral drill bit once into the wood will continue on the path you started (as long as you started straight). A forstner bit in this situation could wonder. My bench was nearly 100mm thick if i recall, and i built a jig to guide the drill bit at 90deg. Worked a treat.

I bought the bit only for the dogs and have never used it since, but it was money well spent. Cheap on eBay if i recall. I would't dream of using it on metal even though it was supposedly a blacksmith bit. But that was probably only the imperial bit i could find. Your metric so it shouldn't be an issue.

kinsella":3ljw3vpe said:
I bought the bit only for the dogs and have never used it since, but it was money well spent. Cheap on eBay if i recall. I would't dream of using it on metal even though it was supposedly a blacksmith bit. But that was probably only the imperial bit i could find. Your metric so it shouldn't be an issue.
The 'blacksmith' part simply means that it has a reduced diameter shank, it doesn't mean it's for using on metal, although there's nothing wrong with drilling metal with an HSS bit.
The Wood Beaver bits I linked to earlier work far better than a forstner bit for deep holes.

+1 for the wood beaver bits, they made lovely clean dog holes in my beech workbench.

Have they changed the design lately? I've not seen a flat bit yet that would drill a clean hole. :D Just get a decent auger (wood beaver is fine), and if you have or have access to a pillar drill get some scrap 4" x 2" and put a perfect 90 degree hole through it. Clamp it down on your bench, and there's your guide no need to arrs about building jigs ... although it is a jig, actually ... I suppose ...

phil.p":1rjr99j2 said:
Have they changed the design lately? I've not seen a flat bit yet that would drill a clean hole. :D Just get a decent auger (wood beaver is fine), and if you have or have access to a pillar drill get some scrap 4" x 2" and put a perfect 90 degree hole through it. Clamp it down on your bench, and there's your guide no need to arrs about building jigs ... although it is a jig, actually ... I suppose ...
:eek:ccasion5:
That's exactly how I did it as detailed in this recent thread:
workbench-build-t102325-30.html

I cant understand why anyone would want to use metal dogs and risk dinging your tools on them.

A bit of dowel works fine and you can make endless combinations...........all for free

phil.p":3p8vyqa3 said:
I would drill 2 holes in the 4x2 then you can peg it in the hole you've just drilled whilst drilling the next, giving you perfectly even spacing

memzey":20wexlz2 said:
phil.p":20wexlz2 said:

:lol: yes, I'd suggested it in a bench build thread way before that, and so, I suspect, have many others - it's not rocket science, is it?

phil.p":51yn4d7a said:
memzey":51yn4d7a said:
phil.p":51yn4d7a said:

:lol: yes, I'd suggested it in a bench build thread way before that, and so, I suspect, have many others - it's not rocket science, is it?
Not rocket science al all (especially as even I managed to do it). The real question is whether the OP has a pillar drill or some other means of drilling a suitably perpendicular hole in a suitably square bit of scrap. If he does, then the auger bit I linked to works a treat. Even if he doesn't, that bit is still a good option but it's one that isn't very long, so your jig will have to be built with that in mind.

Your link worked earlier, but comes up 404 now. Yes, it's handy to drill right through in one, but if you've only a short bit you only really need the first inch or so of hole with any sort of jig or guide - the bit'll follow that anyway.

If you don't have any means of creating a jig to hold the drill bit (whichever one you go for) perfectly perpendicular to the bench top, why not start the holes with an 18mm router bit and just plunge it straight into the bench. That will create a perfect starting hole that you could then follow with your drill.

just a thought.

regards

Brian

Hello,

If you don't have access to a pillar drill for a jig to keep your drill upright, it is easy to cut a bird's mouth in some hardwood and use that.

Mike.

Back