Door / Drawer sizes for a newbie

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NathanJT

Reaction score
I'll start by paraphrasing this by saying I have searched (honest).

Could someone give me an idea what reveal I should be planning on for overlay doors? I've got 3 1900x900mm double door carcasses, made form 18mm MDF. The doors will also be 18 mm thick.

If I drop 1.5-2mm for the overall dimension around each edge, what should I drop for where the doors meet in the middle, the same again or less? What are the rules here?

TIA

Nath.

I often aim for 2mm/3mm prior to painting
Can be adjusted if you use Blum style euro hinge after painting and even the gap out so set in either side and door gap are the same
Make sure if you are butting units together that the hinged edges don’t touch when the doors open

I usually go for a 2.5-3mm gap between doors and half that from the edges. That way when you
have a couple of cabinets side by side, all the spacings are the same.
Sometimes a smaller gap looks better, other times it doesn't.

I aim for 1.5 - 2mm between the doors, but for overlay doors on a freestanding carcass I like to have the outside edge of the door flush with the carcass edges. So if you had a double wardrobe of your dimensions, as long as it’s freestanding, then your two doors would be 1900 x 449.

In a run of cabinets, or if the carcass is in an alcove ie abutting something else, then you need a 1.5 - 2mm gap there as well. To keep the maths simple, let’s stick with a 2mm gap.

With two double carcasses butted together, the outer doors are 449 to keep the edges flush, and the two middle doors are 448 to make the 2mm gap. With three doubles butted together, the two outers are 449, and all others are 448.

Same goes for the height ie if you have a top-box then allow clearance - but you have a bit more wiggle room with the height as you can always drop the doors down a notch if needs be.

HTH P

Latest posts

Back