don't you just hate it??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

engineer one

Established Member
Reaction score
when the latest copy of a magazine promises so much on the front cover, and you end up with a tatty page somewhere.

new woodworking for spetember 2006 promises to show you how
sketchup works. about the largest headline on the front cover.

but sadly tis a lie, there is only a scant page of completed drawings and some puff but nothing really new about learning. what a con :cry:

having said that though the other parts of the magazine have to me
some value, but still would be nice if it did what it says on the tin

so unless you find something else inside save the bread. :evil:

paul :wink:

A bit like the September edition of Woodturning, smacks of rush to publish and results in poor impressions.

Front Cover has Turning Article Picture Reversed to fit in with Text Layout. (Headstock on the right)
Cover article inside has three stage pictures with same caption. (cut and paste and forgot to change the text?)

A couple of other articles make statements that even a novice turner might challenge as blindingly obvious, such as the inference -not in so many words--that an adjustable offset boring head works best when in line with the shaft rather than offset. (there's a twist in there somewhere) or just reuse article text as captions to pictures when an expanded description would have been more valuable.

Being someone who worked to live not lived to work, I for one would not put myself under the pressure of time constraints etc. to meet a monthly deadline and I admire most of those that can handle it, but someone somewhere needs to employ a craftsman in the subject as proof reader on some of these magazines.

Having vented my steam I must now admit that like Paul I find enough to give me inspiration in the this particular mag, even if it only serves to make me think about alternate solutions that keep me further from the slippery slope of exotic tools.

I have also found that when I bought a copy of a wood work magazine it stated on the cover with picture and saying how to do inlays, so with magazine bound in plastic headed home to read all about inlay techniques but nothing inside. One other time a woodwork magazine promised that next month there would be and an article on veneering but after buying the mag nothing inside.
My advice is stick to the American magazines not only are they better written but display a better incite to wood working and at a level from begginer to expert, not just showing you haw to make egg cups or mug trees.

Thanks

It's not just woodworking magazines that do this. I was suckered into buying the latest copy of MacWorld because on the cover it said 'Exclusive - MacPro and Leopard OS'...thinking...yippee, a review of the MacPro. What a con....turned out to be a rehashed press release from Apple. Shrink wrapped in plastic so no possibility of peeking before buying. Next time I'm going to rip off the plastic and double check.

Actually...thinking about it...no reason why we shouldn't do the same for woodworking magazines wrapped that way.

What I hate is the fact that in my local newsagents all of the woodworking magazines are on the top shelf behind a row of other magazines - getting them out from there is a hassle for me (and I'm 6ft plus, so no midget) then to find them wrapped in plastic just gets to me a little. Even worse is getting them home to find that the cover has conned me......

....yet again :roll:

Scrit

you sure it is only the woodworking magazines in the plastic
bags :twisted: :twisted:

top shelf indeed, methinks you need a different newsagent :lol:

more and more i think i need to stay with the american mags.

what i find is that smiths do special promotions more often
so that is when we get the major problem.
actually you would think that people like machine mart would
be a bit more sensible. why put the catalogue in ALL the magazines
in the same month??? surely we are going to throw most of them away :lol:

paul :wink:

Scrit":2izafbsw said:
then to find them wrapped in plastic just gets to me a little. Even worse is getting them home to find that the cover has conned me......

Scrit

Scrit...please join my campaign REPSCON (REmove Plastic and Stop the CON) and rip the plastic off and check out the contents first in the shop...

engineer one":3lmhsenm said:
....top shelf indeed, methinks you need a different newsagent :lol:
No, really. Did I say it was a funny place where I lived. Gets you some funny looks from the non-locals, though :shock:

Roger Sinden":3lmhsenm said:
...please join my campaign REPSCON (REmove Plastic and Stop the CON) and rip the plastic off and check out the contents first in the shop...
All right Roger, where can I get the bumper stickers?

Scrit

Roger Sinden":ayvrd3sa said:
Scrit...please join my campaign REPSCON (REmove Plastic and Stop the CON) and rip the plastic off and check out the contents first in the shop...
I've been doing that for years in Smiths... 8-[ :-$ I tend to leave the unwrapped one for whoever comes next because that's how I got the idea to do it in the first place - someone leaving one they'd opened there on the rack. Mind you, it's usually 'cos I take one look inside and I lose the urge to buy it! :roll:

As for the shelf location of woodworking mags. Well if you think it can be embarassing as a bloke... :shock: :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":3hsi7pvk said:
As for the shelf location of woodworking mags. Well if you think it can be embarassing as a bloke... :shock: :oops:
In winter it looks even worse as I tend to don my grotty old waxed thornproof (Barbour) - that and the flat cap makes it look like...... Well you get the picture :oops:

Scrit

Latest posts

Back