Do you reuse paint brushes and rollers?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Often clean brushes.

Rarely keep rollers long. A few cleans and the chucked - only £1.50-3 each.

Often clean brushes.

Rarely keep rollers long. A few cleans and the chucked - only £1.50-3 each.

I use only Purdy rollers and always wash them.
I don't have a water meter, if I did I might have to rethink.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I'll try the Hamilton brushes because I've used the Hamilton roller and 6 refill pack all for £12.50 from Toolstation and found it excellent. I'll also try one of the multi scrapers that have the roller cleaner built in.

Regards Keith

I use mostly milk paint and shellac, so the cleaning is pretty straightforward.

When using varnish (not that often) I clean with white spirit. I don't really enjoy it, but feels wrong to just use a brush once.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

I got a set of purdy brushes 7 years ago and they're still going. The 2" one is a little sad as I've probably painted too many machines with it and enamel is a pain to wash out. I use a wooster brush comb as well, really helps get the paint out that collects at the top of the bristles.
Rollers are only worth washing once or twice before they've had it in my experience. I used the mini foam ones on the lathe I'm doing up currently and the enamel disagreed with the glue. Think I used about 8 rollers just to do the cabinet :lol:

Yes I re-use both, and regularly revive hardened brushes my builder mate (heathen) allows to go hard - soak for a few weeks in biological washing powder, the enzymes will soften and clean all paints including oils. I haven't had to buy a new brush in years.

For rollers I gently scrape first, then give them a quick rinse with water to get the worst of the rest off, then spray them with those spray "burnt on grease" pan cleaners and work it in for a minute or so, it breaks down (emulsifies) the emulsion paint really fast and it just rinses off.

Then I wash it with washing up liquid, just a little to remove that spray cleaner residue. Takes all of 3 or 4 minutes and the roller sleeve is like new.

Try it next time, you'll see :)

Latest posts

Back