DeWalt,Makita or Mafell plunge saw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the mafell ksp55 and iam very happy with it i have the small rail and the larger rail, and most of the time you are ok with the smaller rail (140)

Very happy with my Mafell. Personally, I prefer the router style plunge to the Festool pivot forward plunge. Plunge cutting ability is of most use to me in making a prior score cut possible. You cut backwards about 3mm deep and then forward as normal at full depth - no chip out on either side of cut and no repalceable splinter guard for both sides of blade needed. Only plunge saws have the necessary retractable riving knife. In general the more expensive tools have bigger bearings and tighter tolerances, which may be useful, or a complete waste, depending on intended use.

Thanks for all the replies, It was close in the end but today i recieved the mafell plung saw, and i must say im very impressed, ive used it all day, and so far cant think of anything id like changed about it. I also got a milwaukee biscuit jointer aswell great tool, its soooooo much better than than my previous, i would have liked to get the mafell but at near £100 more i just couldnt justify it. (maybe ill regret it later who knows)

I'm in trhe same boat at the moment too, one that didnt get mentioned here was the dewalt, whats the forums opinon son this saw and track?
1384, which model maffell did you buy in the end, did you buy any other tracks with it?

I went of the MAFELL KSP55F with a 1.6mtr rail, as most of the time i never have to cut a full length from an 8' board, but i may look at getting a longer rail because it would be handy for the odd occasion. I think the big difference between the dewalt and the mafell are the plunge styles, the dewalt you hold the saw and plunge by pushing the handle, but with the mafell you hold the saw and plunge with a seperate lever if that makes sense. Also the mafell was £10 cheaper than the dewalt

Back