Deployment to Puffins and Penguins

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
SWIMBO came home t'other day like a cat wot's got the cream. We both work for the MOD and have the opportunity to apply for foreign postings....she did and is off to here in mid October for 6 months, so I will be spending Christmas this year a long way away. Must look on the bright side tho', she could have applied to go to Iraq :shock: or the Balkans

So while the cat's away :D ........ - Rob

woodbloke":2mwggapf said:
We both work for the MOD and have the opportunity to apply for foreign postings....she did and is off to here in mid October for 6 months, so I will be spending Christmas this year a long way away.

Better pack your thermal vests :shock: :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":17d7xkwz said:
October? Southern Hemisphere? Doesn't that make it summer down there? Maybe cossies are in order :wink:

Scrit

Scrit":32dtmq9l said:
Paul Chapman":32dtmq9l said:
October? Southern Hemisphere? Doesn't that make it summer down there? Maybe cossies are in order :wink:

Not unless they are thermal cossies - click on Rob's link and go to climate :lol: :lol:

Nice opportunity, though - not a place many people have been to.

Paul

Apparently, their winter time is our summer, so Oct-April should be warmish...we hope. We both work with people, both civvy and military who've been to the Falklands and all have said its definitely an opportunity not to be missed. She will also have a chance to visit mainland South America as with lots of the outlying islands.
And then there's the wildlife.....whale watching etc. She's not counting too much on the nightlife tho' - Rob

I hope she enjoys herself more than I did 20 years ago! The social life can be somewhat limited and there were no amenities such as theatres or shops. The scenery and wildlife can be attractive, in a bleak sort of way, so if she's ever fancied learning to draw it'll be a good opportunity. The light's fantastic and she'll certainly find a good camera very useful.

The weather's even more changeable than in Ireland and much more intense. When I was down south we had snow one spring morning but by teatime the medics were treating airmen for sunburn. And the wind is relentless.

No puffins there that I can recall - lots of geese and sheep, though.

Gill

Gill":1l84bddr said:
The scenery and wildlife can be attractive, in a bleak sort of way, so if she's ever fancied learning to draw it'll be a good opportunity. The light's fantastic and she'll certainly find a good camera very useful.
Agreed. An artist friend went down there some years ago and did some beautiful pastel drawings of the coast. Seem to recall he said he had to work quick 'cos he lost the feeling in his fingers. :-k And he's a hardy blighter too - Scottish, bearded, hearty bloke who elected to top the Falklands with the Himalayas... :roll:

Heck of an experience though. :D

Cheers, Alf

Back in the 80's I was asked to fit out the staff restaurant for LLoyds Register of Shipping, because of my restaurant experience.
Got a company called W.M.Stills to fabricate all the stainless steel tables etc.
It was a big project.
Received a visit from the MOD and a Stills director.
" Sorry old boy your orders been cancelled, we've employed W.M.Stills to make all the kitchen equipment for our chaps out in the Falklands. Just look at it as doing your bit, toodle pip."

No arguing there then.

Looking at that website a bit more, I reckon you will have a great time - and you can hire Land Rovers Rob :D

Paul

Paul - Alyson has to take a military driving test before deployment so I fancy that she'll be able to drive army Landy's, not sure tho'. Driving a Defender in the UK tho' will be invaluable to her I'm sure - Rob

Paul - my mind is already boggled :shock: .....SWIMBO belting round Gambon corner on two wheels in an Army landrover doesn't bare thinking about :D - Rob

Back