Dedicated Spindle Sander vs Drill Press Sanding Drums

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tetsuaiga

Established Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if theres much of an advantage in having an oscilating spindle sander.

I've been using a drum sander that just goes into a drill press. I have 2 sizes one is rigid and the other foam/cloth backed.

I can see that the rise and fall motion of the spindle sander speeds up the sanding process but other than that why would someone want one and not just the the drill press ones?

The drill press isn't really designed to take pressure from the side like a bobbin sander is, generally they are designed to exert pressure from above, the bearing/s will wear quicker if you use your pillar drill this way. It's also the convenience of not having to alter machines all the time.

Thanks

Alex

The bearings in a drill press are just normal ball races, just like the ones in wheels and they seem to cope with the weight of a car.

Pete

I've been using a drum sander in a drill press for about 20 years, and I just splashed out on a cheap bobbin sander (the Rutlands one). What a difference!

The bobbins are deeper, about 5", they come in 6 different sizes, they oscillate, the table is flat and smooth and square to the bobbin, the loadings don't come loose and rise and fall with pressure like some of my little drum loadings did. And there is a dust extraction port built in which works pretty dam well, really, you can see it all disappearing down the chute and there's no residue in mouth and nose after use.

My best buy in the year, I bought a disc and belt sander at the same time and find myself using the bobbin sander instead for everything I can, and some things I shouldn't. I need to try to find some finer loadings though, it came with 80 and 120gr and I need 150 or 180. I can't imagine ever using the 80gr ones.

heatherw":3b6d9wts said:
I've been using a drum sander in a drill press for about 20 years, and I just splashed out on a cheap bobbin sander (the Rutlands one). What a difference!

The bobbins are deeper, about 5", they come in 6 different sizes, they oscillate, the table is flat and smooth and square to the bobbin, the loadings don't come loose and rise and fall with pressure like some of my little drum loadings did. And there is a dust extraction port built in which works pretty dam well, really, you can see it all disappearing down the chute and there's no residue in mouth and nose after use.

My best buy in the year, I bought a disc and belt sander at the same time and find myself using the bobbin sander instead for everything I can, and some things I shouldn't. I need to try to find some finer loadings though, it came with 80 and 120gr and I need 150 or 180. I can't imagine ever using the 80gr ones.

Different grades easily found on fleabay or amazon :)

Back