Dead crows, an interesting study.................

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goulss

Established Member
Reaction score
Researchers at the Department of Transport found over 200 dead crows near a busy road junction recently, and there was concern that they may have died from Avian Flu. A bird pathologist examined the remains of all the crows and, to everyone’s relief, confirmed the problem was definitely NOT Avian Flu. The cause of death appeared to be vehicular impacts.

However, during the detailed analysis it was noted that varying colours of paint appeared on the birds’ beaks and claws. By analysing these paint residues it was determined that 98% of the crows were killed by impact with trucks, while 2% were killed by impact with cars.

DoT then hired an Ornithological Behaviorist to determine if there was a cause for the disproportionate percentage of truck kills versus car kills.

The Ornithological Behaviorist very quickly concluded the cause: when crows eat road kill, they always have a look-out crow in a nearby tree to warn of impending danger.

The conclusion was that while all the look-out crows could say “Cah cah”, none could say “Truck.” :D

Grahamshed":12vijgac said:
Brilliant. I thought it was a serious post until the tag line :)

So did I - and as I have an interest in corvids (ravens, crows, jackdaws, magpies etc) was actually getting quite concerned - until I read the tag line :D

[/quote]

Magpies? Vermin![/quote]

You really got me there. These days I dislike magpies intensely for they kill song birds and baby chicks and can decimate my fruit in the orchards. Yet as a child I had a tame magpie that stayed with me for two years before finally joining its own kind, although it would visit from time to time. So always look on them with very mixed feelings.

Back