Das Blog? -- somewhat OT

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CONGER

Established Member
Reaction score
Now Alf... I was impressed at your use of the term 'das Blog', so I asked the experts about its correctness.

German native speakers have an uncanny, largely reliable, in-built mechanism with which they can determine the gender of a word which is hitherto unknown to them.

I ran the word 'blog' (or more correctly in german 'Blog', though this is not a german word) by several of my colleagues, and they were peculiarly unsure of its gender. The majority (75%?) did however come up with 'der Blog'.

-gerard- who is suffering from
blogitisB.gif

Paul Chapman":2x61aiff said:
Ah, "Das Boot", what a brilliant film :wink:

Paul

You can say that again, a WONDERFUL movie, in my top two ever.

I just can't tell right now which one would fill the other spot, but Das Boot is in for sure. Poignant doesn't even start to describe this masterpiece...

DC

If it were a plane, Das Boot would be a Holtey

dchenard":1g861ipu said:
I just can't tell right now which one would fill the other spot

How about "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" starring Alec Guinness in his brilliant portrayal of George Smiley? So many outstanding performances in that film. One that sticks in my mind is the performance by Ian Richardson as the traitor. The way he would walk into meetings always late and carrying his cup of tea with the saucer on top to keep it warm, then put the saucer on the table, making the table wet, much to the annoyance of everyone else. You have to have worked in the public sector to know how brilliantly accurate that sort of detail was :wink:

Paul

CONGER":3sciko5u said:
Now Alf... I was impressed at your use of the term 'das Blog', so I asked the experts about its correctness.

Gerard,

did you discuss this during the Oktoberfest after your third round of Maß?

Basically "das" Blog is correct (das Internettagebuch) but it is also allowed to say "der" Blog.

Sometimes even the Germans are a little flexible :D :shock:
(especially during the Octoberfestseason :D )

Bernhard

Paul Chapman":o8unt21d said:
dchenard":o8unt21d said:
I just can't tell right now which one would fill the other spot

How about "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" starring Alec Guinness in his brilliant portrayal of George Smiley? So many outstanding performances in that film. One that sticks in my mind is the performance by Ian Richardson as the traitor. The way he would walk into meetings always late and carrying his cup of tea with the saucer on top to keep it warm, then put the saucer on the table, making the table wet, much to the annoyance of everyone else. You have to have worked in the public sector to know how brilliantly accurate that sort of detail was :wink:

Paul

I don't recall having seen that one, I'll have to check it out...

Other movies that would fit in the top five would be those by Denys Arcand, who gave us "The decline of the American empire", "Jesus of Montréal" (my personal favourite), and the "Barbarian invasions" which won the Oscar for best foreign movie a couple years ago. Check them out if you get the chance.

DC

Back