Danish oil soap stain

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neilyweely

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I have been very busy looking after my father, who has been diagosed with MND, but have found the time to re-fit his bathroom. I used a beech block worksurface, and finished it with Danish Oil.
Have I made an elementary mistake here? I thought this stuff was perfect for the job in hand, but a bar of soap, placed on the WS, has left an unusual ring mark which seems immoveable. I can, of course, sand it out and re-apply the oil to cover the problem, but presumably this will only happen again.
It was a fancy new age soap, with bergamot and all sorts, but this is the sort of stuff they use, so......
I put four or five good coats on, all applied with lint free cloth, and it looked great for a while. But I obviously need to avoid this happening again. I am wondering if I should bite the bullet and use a different finish, but this will be a pita as there is now loads of Danish oil on it!!!

Any ideas? :duno:

Thanks in advance.

Neil

You could put more Danish oil on it - about another 5 coats. This will make it pretty resistant to most things albeit a bit shiny (you can knock the shine back with a suitable abrasive).

Don't forget that Danish oil is just an oil/varnish mixture and as such, more coats will apply more of the varnish which is not a high proportion to start with.

Waterhead

Thanks mate, I did kinda hope that would be the case, and thought I 'knew' it anyway. (ahem)

However, do you think that it was an obscure reaction, or does it fair poorly with soap? Has anyone had a similar experience? Is there a more durable finish I could apply OVER the Danish Oil?

Thanks mate.

Neil who just found;
In our opinion you need to apply a surface coating. Great care needs to be taken around all edges to prevent water getting under the coating and turning black.

Something like AC lacquer (thinned with brushing thinners) or S&R's Danish Oil would do the job. If you do go the AC route all the old finish would need to be sanded off. You should be ok in applying S&R's Danish Oil over another but it is worth doing the coin test to check for compatability before proceeding over the entire surface.

It's also worth bearing in mind that you need to leave S&R Danish Oil at least 10 days to full cure.

Hope this helps

Ian

However I was hoping to find something that was 'soap resistant' not just 'splash resistant'. Any ideas?

Thanks folks.

Neil

Back