damp glue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
A while back in a thread I cant remember now someone said they spray mist their wood before gluiing to slow down the "stick"in hot weather.

Can I get a confirmation of this please regarding how much to spray?

I've just glued three squares of wood 220 x 200 mm together as a start of making a laminated bandsaw box using ordinary bison pva glue and the pieces stuck on impact. I barely managed to square the pieces up before clamping.
I'm now working in 30c temp, and its going to get hotter before it gets cooler.

It was I. :D I only just damp the wood to slow the initial grab, but I have well overdone it in the past and poured water on (when I've known the wood to be bone dry) - it didn't appear to make any difference so long as the surplus was dried off quickly and not allowed to puddle. You've more extreme temperatures than us, so I would try a few test pieces. Be wary if using it on chair joints and things that are highly stressed - it hasn't exactly been scientifically tested although I've never had a failure.

Thanks, I'm not into furniture, just making pretty hefty bandsaw boxes with different layers.
this is my latest one, its a full 12" x 6" x 7" deep. Weighs in at 4.2 Kg.
They take a lot of gluing.

IMG_1609_zpswfiwp8tg.jpg

a dam cloth works well!

would do this for complex multi part glue ups when i was in the heat of Denver.

it just slows down the absorption of the posture from the glue into the wood which gives you a little extra play time.

Richard.

I'm assuming there should be a "P" in there somewhere (lol).

I've always worried about damping wood due to staining as I am naturally heavy handed (I'm not allowed within 6 foot of a loaded paintbrush). A quick rub over shouldnt be too hard to do, should it?

MattRoberts":1qi0y4e4 said:
Fantastic looking box :)

Thanks. Cant claim the original design. I found a much slimmer and narrower box picture on the web, downloaded and played with it till if filled an A4 sheet and used that as a template.

here's the back view (padauk)
IMG_1611_zpsnnyawsof.jpg

Phil, todays plea was after trying to glue only three pieces together.
Two of 12mm ply and one of 30mm beech. Only two sides to glue, went as fast as i could with the spreader. picked them and up just held them together in preperation for aligning them, and bam, it was like evo stick impact. i had to use a vice the get them aligned before I could set the clamps. it would be impossible to glue more than 4 pieces at best.
And the heat makes the glue quite runny.

another solution, in the waste area, drill a hole through all the blocks for a dowel use it for your alignment. doesn't give you more open time but should take out some of the hassle!

cant dowel it, its a bandsaw box. the dowel could show through when i cut the draws out,

Back