Computer Question--Neomorph?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SketchUp Guru

Established Member
Reaction score
I was snooping around on my machine and noticed the following. Is it possible some of these things have been causing my problems with the various video editing software applications? If so, how do I change these?

Resource.................................Device
I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 PCI bus
I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 Direct memory access controller

I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF NVIDIA nForce3 250 AGP Host to PCI Bridge
I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 (Microsoft Corporation)

IRQ 20 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
IRQ 20 NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio Codec Interface

IRQ 21 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
IRQ 21 NVIDIA nForce3 250 Serial ATA Controller (v2.6)

IRQ 22 Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
IRQ 22 NVIDIA nForce3 250 Serial ATA Controller (v2.6)

IRQ 16 NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 (Microsoft Corporation)
IRQ 16 802.11g Wireless PCI Adapter
IRQ 16 VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

Memory Address 0xD0000000-0xDFFFFFFF NVIDIA nForce3 250 AGP Host to PCI Bridge
Memory Address 0xD0000000-0xDFFFFFFF NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 (Microsoft Corporation)

Memory Address 0xE4000000-0xE5FFFFFF NVIDIA nForce3 250 AGP Host to PCI Bridge
Memory Address 0xE4000000-0xE5FFFFFF NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 (Microsoft Corporation)

Memory Address 0xE6000000-0xE8FFFFFF PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
Memory Address 0xE6000000-0xE8FFFFFF MSI 8606 Video Capture

IRQ 19 MSI 8606 Video Capture
IRQ 19 MSI 8606 Audio Capture
IRQ 19 Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF PCI bus

Dave

If you go to My Computer> rt clck > Properties > Hardware > Device manager...do you you see any odd symbols ...like question marks/warnings?

If so then, yes, you may have a conflict but if there are none then I'd say that your apparent conflict (which I think you are surmising may be the case for your video editing problems) as suggested by different drivers etc appearing to have the same memory range etc may be normal...but then I'm not an expert.

In the old days two items on a single interrupt would cause your machine to curl up and die. Nowadays it's actually possible for multiple pieces of kit to safely share an interrupt.

As Roger says, unless you see little yellow and black exclamation marks in your Device Manager screen your don't have a conflict.

Dave, I take it you are still having problems with rendering your dvd's?

Roger and John, thank you for that information.

Yes, I'm still trying to get something to work. I have a trial version of EditStudio now. It works fine for the editing part but won't do the conversion and burn to DVD. The folks who sell EditStudio package it with some other company's burning SW but there doesn't seem to be a trial version of that and I'm not excited about buying more applications that won't work until I figure out if I have a hardware or other software issue.

This has been totally frustrating because one of the reasons we bought this computer to edit the home videos and burn them to DVD. My wife has been suggesting we get a Mac. I'm a bit resistant to that mainly due to the cost but she might have a point.

The benefit of using software like iMovie on the Mac is that it all comes from the same stable. I hate it when software product A from company X needs to work with product Y from company B...and each company points the finger at the other company when it doesn't work. I try and avoid being piggy-in-the-middle.

Have you thought, Dave, of popping into a Mac shop and having a play of iMovie?

Roger, I thought about that A and B and X and Y thing. It was in the front of my mind when I bought Pinnacle Studio 9 Plus which didn't work for me. I also thought about that with Ulead VideoStudio but that one also wouldn't do it all for me. Curiously, the forums for these pieces of software (or, IMO a different S word) are full of suggestions from users of workarounds for the functions that they won't do. Basically "use product A from X to do this part and product B for that."

I would love to "pop into a Mac shop" but we don't have one here. I'd have to drive up to Minneapolis/St. Paul to find one. I may do that. I don't really want a third computer though.

Dave

Not that this is any consolation but I too have had exactly the same problems as you. On a previous HP machine Pinnacle worked a treat, on my new Dell it won't play ball neither will ulead. I do have, however, adobe premier pro 1.5 working which it did on the HP too. I do appreciate it's an expensive package but at least you know you're not alone :) and from my searches there are many others out there with the same problem.

Cheers Alan

Dave I've got Studio 9 and I gave up with it as well... never worked right for me and also had the probs you have.

The one I have used a lot are Ulead DVD Workshop 2 and Ulead DVD Movie Factory 3 but my favourite is TMPGenc DVD Author 1.6. I think it's quite old now as I haven't checked for an update in ages but it still works fine.

Edit: Version 2 is apparently out now.
Edit2: I've also used MTMPGenc DVD Source Creator - Yoou can get fully working 30 day demos to try them. The only reason I don't use them anymore is because I save to DivX/Xvid files as I have a player that can play them direct from the DVD.

Dave I think it might be an idea to setup an IRC convo to try and sort you out if you want. It would be easier than these slow postings.

Doh... Dave are you attempting to make a dvd or are you just wanting edit some video. If you are trying to edit some mpeg video there is a cracking program called MPEG VIDEO WIZARD which doesn't convert/render everything like Studio seems to want to do. I've used it to edit out comercials of stuff I've recorded off cable.

John, I am trying to take DV fromour little digital video camera, edit it down and then make DVDs from the edited material.

The IRC convo might be a good idea although I've never done that and don't know where to start. :oops:

Woody Alan, thanks for the suggestion. I looked at Premiere Pro but the price tag is nearing $900. If I'm going to spend that kind of money, I might just as well look at a Mac. Otherwise it looked nice.

You don't need Premier... imho it's over complicated for what you want to do.

Have you tried the MPEG Video Wizard from the link in my previous post. It's far the best editing suite I've come across and renders the final version in minutes not hours. If you have probs I'll sort out the IRC thing and we can get you sorted. Onve your editing is done we can can go onto the DVD creation.

John, I've now downloaded the MPEG Video Wizard and the MPGE Video Wizard DVD. I'll give one or the other a try and see what happens. It appears I'll need to find something to use to capture the video from the camera. I'll see what I can find for that.

Thanks for your help.

Dave

John, I gave MPEG Video Wizard DVD a try. It seemed to get through the encoding process without crashing my computer but the video output looked like an old movie with a lot of static and lines. Hmm...

An iMac sure looks inviting.

Dave R":vra3dfif said:
John, I gave MPEG Video Wizard DVD a try. It seemed to get through the encoding process without crashing my computer but the video output looked like an old movie with a lot of static and lines. Hmm...

An iMac sure looks inviting.

OK... what template did you use? Automatic or DVD-NTSC? You should use Automatic as it will not re-encode the video. If you select the template and then click the "Details" button it will show exactly what it will encode (bad) or stream (good). Once you have it outputing correctly I'll show you some cool stuff like the fades and filters. Whereas Studio 9 re-encodes the lot when you ad a fade MVW only re-encodes the fade bit.

Once you have a finished output you use the DVD Authoring prog to do the conversion to DVD output.

John, I'll play with it a bit more and see. Even in the input window the video looks kind of rough. The original file is a DV-AVI from my camera. It doesn't show any of the flaws when I view it with the Windows Media Player or whatever.

I tried again and looked at what you said to set. I still get the lines that look like scratches on film and other artifacts. They don't appear ifI use something else to look at the file. :?:

I've got a cold and I'm heading to bed. Maybe tomorrow I can think more about.

Do these lines appear on the outputed video file played in MS Media Player? They sound like interlace lines and MVW doesn't display them well because it's coded for speed in display and not quality until the video is output to the final file. In fact I had that problem myself until I figured it out. If the detail screen shows mostly blue lines it means the video hasn't even been changed... just streamed out so it is totally identical to what was on the camera.

Back