Competition 063/03 Johnboy - Bowfront Chest of Drawers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Newbie_Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
Been thinking about what to enter for a while now and decided to try something new (to me anyway). I've never done any laminated curves or veneering so am going to try a veneered bowfronted small chest of drawers.

I played around on CAD (Alibre Xpress) to get a curve I liked the proportions of, printed it out and made this former. It is 4 bits of MDF screwed and glued together, roughed out on the bandsaw and smoothed on a drum sander in the drill press. The front of the former has been waxed to hopefully prevent the veneer sticking to it. Also pictured are the 3 pieces of 3mm MDF and the American walnut veneer for the inside face of the drawer front. I will veneer the edges and front later. I have no idea if this is the correct way to do this and am making thing up as I go along. I am using the glue pictured which is a waterproof (D4 grade) PVA. I used this as I have read somewhere that this will not creep which can happen with ordinary PVA.
medium.jpg

Here is one of the drawer fronts clamped up.
medium.jpg

And here is one I prepared earlier.
medium.jpg

Here is a stack of 12mm MDF for the carcass (I can feel the cringing going on)
medium.jpg

I bought the veneers from Vale veneers and bought this iron on glue film as well for the flat surfaces. Also shown is my hi-tech veneer application tool (OK it's a £5.99 iron from Homebase)
medium.jpg

This is a piece of MDF with the glue film applied, you just lay the veneer on top then iron on through the backing paper to protect the veneer. Seems to work a treat, you just have to make sure there is no dust or other lumps in the layers. DAMHIKT
medium.jpg

Managed to make some more progress but it will be challenge to get it finished by by Next Friday.

This is one of the drawers, sliding dovetails at the front and simple dado's at the back. The sides are maple (I think) and the back mahogany, all from the offcut bin.
medium.jpg

It was at this stage that I realised that there was no groove in the drawer fronts for the bottom Doh!! (homer) After a bit of head scratching and cursing I decided to rout a 2mm deep groove in some 3mm MDF and to glue this to the fronts.
medium.jpg

I knew all those spring clamps would come in useful one day.
medium.jpg

Finally a picture of the drawer fronts with the Ash burr veneer applied.
medium.jpg

I hope to spend most of tomorrow in the workshop and get the drawers finished and get a start on the carcass. This might sound a strange way of working but I decided to make the carcass fit the drawers rather than the other way round as I wasn't sure exactly what shape the drawer fronts would end up after forming. As it has turned out they are almost the same shape as the former with just a small amount of springback.

Managed to make good progress but it will be Friday afternoon before I am finished. Here is a trial assembly, the sides will be joined to the top and base with 3 No 10 biscuits.
medium.jpg

I am actually further along than this, the case is now glued up and I have started applying finish to the drawers.

ps. excuse the messy workshop, a major tidy up is due this weekend.

Made it with at least 9 hours to spare, no problem :whistle:

A rear view, the back panel is 6mm veneered MDF. This is glued in place to add strength and to keep the case square. Everything is veneered MDF so movement should not be a problem.
medium.jpg

A front view with the drawers open. The drawers run on oak runners glued and pinned to the case in grooves in the drawer sides. The knobs were turned from mahogany.
medium.jpg

Finally a picture in its final resting place (until SWMBO decides otherwise).
The finish is just wax on the inside and drawer carcases and 3 coats of danish oil with 2 coats of wax on the outside.
medium.jpg

It was an interesting project and fun to make. If I was to make another one I think I would make the case from solid timber and just use veneer for the drawer fronts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back