Climate Change

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Benchwayze":14mtm521 said:
Rhyolith":14mtm521 said:
Racers":14mtm521 said:
Actually discussing climate change on line will make it worse (if it is our fault) so to help, stop posting.

:wink:

Pete
I have solar panels :D

Then you'd know about this Rhyo?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/solar-indust ... tml?ref=gs

Or perhaps this is another piece of denier-created fiction you'd dismiss? :wink:

John

I think those comments were said in jest, but it's a legitimate point. The CO2 released by manufacturing a new "economic" car, for example, (hybrids etc) outweighs any savings made by trading in my 10 year old car. IIRC, the pollution created in the manufacture of lithium batteries is also quite significant.

Edit: that is hardly evidence that climate change is not influenced by mankind though.

Disclaimer: I don't have any scientific sources to back that up, so I'm open to correction

The solar panel comment was in jest, however the building I live in does have them (they are not my panels). I don't know if their production produced more CO2 than they have saved by powering the house since they were installed, I suspect they will ultimately be carbon neutral, but only after powering the house for a long time (25+ years). Its very such debatably whether thats "Green" or not.

As far as I aware DTR's comment about the hybrid cars is correct, though I have no peer reviewed documents to back it up. I remember top gear (or some such programme) claiming that you could drive a secondhand land rover all your life and produce less CO2 than the production of a single Toyota Prius; this of course might be totally wrong, but it makes the point. As a general rule buying anything new is bad for the environment, particularly resource intensive things to make like cars.

I appreciate your Solar panel remark was a joke; just! To make it a true jest, perhaps you need a panel of professional comedians to review and ratify it. I am jesting of course!

BTW, what happens to theories that are so advanced there are no peers smart enough to review them? (homer)
Oh wait I know... The proposer becomes known as an heretic, just as was Galileo and a good few others.
Pineapple! I forgot to vote!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Benchwayze":3egq92xj said:
... what happens to theories that are so advanced there are no peers smart enough to review them? (homer)
Oh wait I know... The proposer becomes known as an heretic, just as was Galileo and a good few others.
Pineapple! I forgot to vote!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
There are elements of truth to that, I am well aware that the academic community can be its own political hornet's nest. However, principles behind climate change are not that complicated, there are plenty of people who understand them and can review the data. This comes back to whether you trust scientific reviewed papers or not. Their obviously not 100% reliable (what is?), but certainly trust worthy them more on a topic like this (a scientific one) than any other written source. If you don't trust these, what can you trust :shock:

Back