Circular Saw Blade Sharpening

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByronBlack

Established Member
Reaction score
Just a quickie question.

I have a 48 tooth festool blade that is blunter than a badgers bottom. Can anyone recommend a good reliable mail-order sharpening service? Or can this be done myself? My only concern is that the teeth look as though they are too narrow to be sharpened as I was getting a lot of burning on the stock when using the blade - i'm assuming the kerf is now as narrow as the blade stock thus creating the excess burning - is this blade at the end of its short life?

TIA

Hi Byron

I am not sure why you ant a mail order firm. You should find a saw sharpener in Yellow Pages. They will tell you if it has come to the end of its life.

Paul

BB (yep me again), got a chap round the corner here does a bang up job for around 6 - 10 squids depending on number of teeth and condition. If needed he'll even braze on new tips (couple of quid each from memory).

Depending on workload and what day of the week it is - he does saw blades one day, planer knives the next etc. - it's not unheard of for me to get stuff back the same day, especially if I give him a bit of warning.

Don't think he does a post service (don't think so) but I do know he runs around one day a week picking up and delivering to local firms - he may get out your way who knows. Let me know if you need his number.

Ooh! I forgot, he does router cutters too.

Mark

just read your post properly (it's late). I doubt if you've worn it out past regrinding unless you've had it done few times before. You'd be surprised how little needs to come off to get thm back to spec.

Be interested how you get on Byron - those Festool blades are around £45 each, so well worth sharpening (I have one on my B&Q circular saw)

Cheers for the advice chaps. Mark - can you PM me the number please? I'll see if he comes by over the bridge.

However i'm a bit worried that all the tips need re-brazing as they are all pretty flat (My fault for using it to cut MFC and HDF Flooring!) and on a 48 tooth blade it'll be better to buy another :(

However, i'll most probably buy a Fruend as they are apparently just as good and half the price (£25 for a 40tooth).

But if this one can be resurrected then it's worth a go :)

ByronBlack":205qlvvz said:
However, i'll most probably buy a Fruend as they are apparently just as good and half the price (£25 for a 40tooth).

Don't you believe it!!!

I am as far from a Festool fan as it is possible to get -I think they are over priced and over hyped, HOWEVER, their blades are second to none in my experience (a large part of the reason they perform well) and I use them in my circular saw and jigsaw for that very reason.

I ge less breakout with the Festool in my circlar saw than with the standard blade, a Feud blade or a Trend blade.

nothing right now Ian. Its just that i'm local to Mark whch means he's round the corner from me too. A handy thing to know

BB and Wizer, PMs sent.

I'd post his details here, but not without his permission and I can't get hold of him at the mo'

BB, I very very much doubt if you need to have new tips unless you've either got some missing or badly chipped.

P.S. either of you going, or want to go, to Dave's bash at Sudbury on Sat.?

no PM as yet Mark?

And sadly no, I am tied to work at the new house for the next 8 weeks

Hi Byron,

Take your blade to the local builders merchant or timber yard, they may have a service that collects one week and brings back the next. Thats the way I do it.

Beech boy

Tony":32gpxxgy said:
ByronBlack":32gpxxgy said:
However, i'll most probably buy a Fruend as they are apparently just as good and half the price (£25 for a 40 tooth).
Don't you believe it!!!
Why not? Festool don't make their own circular saw blades, do they? If you buy an equilvalent quality industrial blade (Leitz, Leuco, Bennett, etc) you should end up with an equivalent cut, after all the real trick is in the grinding - a good reason to find a proper industrial sharpening srvice such as NLS in London or the like who have 5-axis CNC grinders. That doesn't mean all TCT blades are alike, but at the top end the difference is minimal.

Scrit

Scrit":3h3ryyo8 said:
Tony":3h3ryyo8 said:
ByronBlack":3h3ryyo8 said:
However, i'll most probably buy a Fruend as they are apparently just as good and half the price (£25 for a 40 tooth).
Don't you believe it!!!
Why not? Festool don't make their own circular saw blades, do they?

Srit, all I can say is that in my experience, the reason Festool saws have gained their reputation (deserved or not) is that the blades are the best I have found of the 7 brands I have tried.

I am no fan at all of Festool tools as is clear from my posts over the past few years :wink: , but their blades? Yep.

Another vote here for finding an industrial sharpening service.
Personally I use leitz, all of the blades that come back from there are upto the same standard regardless of the brand on them.

Johnboy - thanks for the link, i'll bare them in mind. I've found a mail-order service which i'm going to try, but these will be good as a backup, cheers!

Latest posts

Back