Chess Table (long Pics.)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwaithcoed

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I sort of half promised my 7 year old Grandson that I would make him a chess table. I have one that I made a while ago and when he is down on school holidays we use it to play draughts on and he said "I'd like a table like this Grandad" And I sort of replied "I'll make you one matey if you want one"
After that he kept asking if i had started it yet. So here's the result

e9650a4c.jpg

Took a piece of mahogany which had been part of a bookcase and a piece of ash from a kitchen cupboard door that I salvaged.

e9650a2e.jpg

Cut strips 40 mil wide and 6 mil thick

e96509e1.jpg

Realiesd I was two short for what I needed so made two more and glued and clamped

e96509b4.jpg

Removed them from the clamps, cut them into 40 mil strips, arranged them as shown and glued and clamped
e9650803.jpg

The finished top

e96507dd.jpg

Four lengths of oak were then grooved, mitred, glued and clamped with a plywood insert

e96507be.jpg

Next step to add the chequer board into the top. The strip of banding around the chequer board is off an old pallet but its hard wood and the right colour.

e965079c.jpg

Four top rails were then cut and two of them had cut outs for the drawers.The vertical cuts were done on the table saw and most of the waste taken out with the jig saw. The final finish was done on the router table using a straight cutting bit
e965077c.jpg

Two side rails were then made with runners in for the drawers
e96506bd.jpg

The legs are 25 x25 mil oak and the mortices cut with the router and a home made jig.
e965068f.jpg

The tennons on the side rails were cut on the table saw and a bead detail was done on the router table on the lower edge.
After a dry fit the table was glued and clamped.

e9650660.jpg

The drawers were made from 6 mil oak with simple half lap joints and I was going to glue a piece of oak on to the front but decided to experiment.
I took lengths of ash and mahogany 12mil wide.

e9650632.jpg

Glued and clamped

e96505f4.jpg

Cut into 12 mil pieces.

e9650529.jpg

Arranged into a chequer board and after rounding off the edges and forming a finger pull on the lower inside edge, they were glued to the drawer fronts.

e96504f5.jpg

The top was fixed using screws and a kreg jig.

It was then given two coats of danish oil.

My Grandson is coming to us next week for his school holidays, and I'm sure he'll like it

Alan.

Wow, thats lovely. Just make sure he doesn't use it to play with his teenage mutant ninja turtles, or it'll end up with dents all over it. (Like my 4 year old cousin did with my coffee table :evil: )

Very nice ! I think that will be something that will be handed down for generations . Nice one .

Very nice Alan. I like both the design and usage of materials.

Proper job, Alan. =D> 'Specially like the checkerboard drawer fronts. And what an excellent gloat to have a grandson who'll appreciate it. :D

Cheers, Alf

Phil Carpenter wrote
That's lovely. I've always wanted one. Will you make one for me too please ?
No! If you can make such beautiful chairs, making a chess table should be easy peasy :wink: :wink: :wink:

Dom wrote
how much are you charging him?
You are joking, how many grandsons do you know who give to their grandads :shock: :shock: :shock:

Andy wrote
BTW when you play with your grandson who wins?
Depends on who cheats the most :evil: :evil: :evil:

Thank you all for your kind comments

Alan

That is superb work Alan.

I have often thouught of making one with a backgammon board on the rear, but alwys intended to use veneers. I prefer your method.

Your grandson is going to be over the moon with it and I guess you'd better brush up on your chess moves before he arrives :wink:

gwaithcoed":ka9se0ta said:
You are joking, how many grandsons do you know who give to their grandads :shock: :shock: :shock:
Oh go on..... I bet he lets you win sometimes!! :lol:

I really like the table, too. :)

Dave

Back