Charities

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Listening to a Radio 4 feature on the status of charities in the UK yesterday, I hadn't realised that the gross revenue of them was greater at £52billion the many financial insititutions.

On the plus side, it speaks volumes for the social conscience and generosity of the UK population. But these charities don't exist to fill a vacuum but to fill a need in our society. That they have grown to their current size within the last twelve years is, to me, the most savage indictment of DuffGov whose policies were designed, I thought, to champion and fight for the very people that the charities are now helping.

Myself I would think that figure is suspect, (most probably some figure manipulation/or funny accounting involved)

Divide £52billion by 30 million people (who are able to donate) and that results at ? so much per head. (is it around £1700 per head?)

devonwoody":2q5g4av8 said:
Myself I would think that figure is suspect, (most probably some figure manipulation/or funny accounting involved)

Divide £52billion by 30 million people (who are able to donate) and that results at ? so much per head. (is it around £1700 per head?)

Why would they want to manipulate the figures or indeed how can they when the figures are publicly available and visible. Don't forget that even in todays straightened times businesses still give large amounts to charity as to bequests.

An how much money goes to administration of the funds??
Over here we have Jerrys kids.(Spinal Bifita)..millions are giving to this problem, no cure yet and I used to send in money for it when I was a child....If they find a cure they will lose their funding so in my opinion they will not ever do that.A lot of money in Farm aid but I have yet to find one farmer who will say they got any money??
Nah I will stay with the (See a guy in need,help him directly)cut out the middle man.

It is remarkable that the Air Ambulance is a charity funded entirely by donations from the public. There are a lot of dubious charities and you get those annoying muppets with clip boards pestering people in the high street.

devonwoody":aa42zy52 said:

but the charity gross revenue includes interest on capital investments, appreciation of property holdings, rent for tenancies, consultancy fees etc etc - its not just what is given by the public each year, plus orgs like the NT who charge for entrance to properties and operate trading companies

for example i used to work for a charity that was endowed with 50 million in property from which they took arround 3 million each year in rent and lease payments - that particular charity took very little from public giving.

also dont forget that the money from the lottery funds largely goes to charities , as does the landfill tax funds , and numerous other private trusts etc.

Soulfly":175o7u0l said:
There are a lot of dubious charities and you get those annoying muppets with clip boards pestering people in the high street.

its got so prounced in some areas that it has become known as chugging (charity mugging) - but then you get annoying muppets in every walk of life and field of endeavour , even on the internet. ;)

We're straying away from the point here and that is, if DuffGov's social policies actually had achieved anything over the lst1 2 years then eprhaps there wouldn't be any need for so many charities or public giving?

RogerS":3p2w6lfk said:
We're straying away from the point here and that is, if DuffGov's social policies actually had achieved anything over the lst1 2 years then eprhaps there wouldn't be any need for so many charities or public giving?

that would only be true if these charities had been set up in the last 12 years , but most of the big ones National trust, oxfam, RSPB, shelter, Childline etc etc have been going far longer than that.

plus a lot of the charity sector in the uk has nothing to do with social care - there is a massive environmental sector , then there are museums, restoration projects, special interest groups etc etc

and thirdly a sizeable proportion of the british (and other european) charity sector raise money here but work principally over seas e.g oxfam, actionaid, WWF, Medicine sans frontiere, mine action etc etc - so their existence is an indictment not of duff gov, but of the duff global system

Coming back to statistics,.
£52 billion paid out by charities?
Assume 30 million people receive charity,( this time)
So they receive £1700 average each?

Assume 3 million people then receive. = £17.000 each, My opinion is that these figures are massaged.

Or is the income tax man is being deceived?

(Re politics, mainland Europe has more unemployed than us and commercial institutions are also in great trouble. )
Its just that whatever government in Europe in power is getting the stick.

That they have grown to their current size within the last twelve years is, to me, the most savage indictment of DuffGov whose policies were designed, I thought, to champion and fight for the very people that the charities are now helping.

Does we think that government should be filling this void? Or would that give rise to a ‘its not my fault, the government shoulda done it’ culture?

milkman":1osxkn63 said:
That they have grown to their current size within the last twelve years is, to me, the most savage indictment of DuffGov whose policies were designed, I thought, to champion and fight for the very people that the charities are now helping.

Does we think that government should be filling this void? Or would that give rise to a ‘its not my fault, the government shoulda done it’ culture?

My point was that DuffGov policies are, allegedly, to help those less able to help themselves - I nearly said 'for whatever reason' but I don't buy into free handouts.

IMHO all the taxes already being paid INTO the govt fund should be paid OUT into public requirements...

Politicians are voted in to do a good job, not a half ar$ed one... No matter who gets in on the party manifesto, it all seems to go tit$ up at some point in their time as government...

If I got voted into a position in a charity (which I was at one point) I'm of a mind to do the best for the group (in this case the country), if I don't, then I feel as bad as hell. If I can't do it, and do it well, I should pass over the role and let someone else have a go.

The recent expenses scandal proves that no matter which party you belong to, there are always some who let the side down, being painted with the same brush so to speak, EVERYONE in the party is then put under suspicion.

So, IMO, if you want to be a politician, then you shouldn't be allowed to be one. Only the people who CAN run the country should be allowed to, but finding a cabbie, a barber, and a farmer all at the same time is harder than you think! :roll:

Politicians should do it for free, for the love of the country, and for best values for the un-privileged (NOT under-privileged / lazy / time wasters...)

Now, how do I make a soap box?

End of rant. :oops:

Back