building a shed advice needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leptus

Established Member
Reaction score
hi every one can any one give advice on building a shed . i want to use breeze block construction instead of timber , my question is, is there any rules in the building reg to prevent me from doing so . your advice will be greatly appreciated =D>

depends where you are building it and internal floor area.

Area < 15m2 you can do pretty much as you please anywhere in the planning permitted area of your garden - see gov planning portal.

Area >15m2 but <30m2 - if any part (like gutter) <1m from boundary building regs apply to all aspects of the building unless you get a a Class 6 building exemption for building from 'substantially incombustible materials'.

In that case bloc, brick, concrete panels or cement based board on a steel frame for the walls and fibrouse cement, steel, tiled or bitumen felt roof with chippings in the old fashioned way. In reality each authority can have their own interpretation but many are published on the internet.

In all cases, Part P applies to the electrical installation.

I know a bit about this because have today been discussing what 'substantially incombustible materials' means with the local (really helpful) building control people.

regards,

Colin

hi colin thanks for your reply great info ,the size of the shed is going to be 3m by 4m which gives me 12m square with pitch roof how high can i go with the roof? the walls will 2.5 meters . o i forgot the floor will be 100mm solid concrete. best regards

Hi,

sorry for the delay in replying. How high depends upon how far from the boundary. Do you have a known distance?

regards,

Colin

hi colin thanks for your reply . there is a back of a house facing where the shed is going to be built, i was thinking to build the shed about a meter from the wall. best regards

If it is in your garden and more than 5 metres from your house, you can build it up to 30 sq metre floor area and 4 mts to the highest point. If built from mainly non combustible materials, such as brick/block and tiled roof, then it can up against the boundary. If timber built, then a metre from boundaries is the rule.

There are other things to consider, like proximity to highways, which you should check and also need to consider what your local authority allow, but i've built 2 block workshops following the above guidelines and both times the council have turned up. Both were fine after being scrutinised. I'm moving house next friday and about to build another. Confident that there ill be no issues.

Back