Broadband talk

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aldel

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience of VOIP with BT broadband.
They advertise free evening and w/e calls with option 4 which I have.
The only catch that I can see is that the modem/router has to be powered up all the time even if the computer is not switched on.

Are the calls really free or is there a catch?

Aldel

aldel":33g6e0rq said:
Does anyone have any experience of VOIP with BT broadband.
They advertise free evening and w/e calls with option 4 which I have.
The only catch that I can see is that the modem/router has to be powered up all the time even if the computer is not switched on.

Are the calls really free or is there a catch?

Aldel

If the computer is off then how do you talk and answer the telephone? Or is there a separate gizmo that plugs into the router ?

Quality of the line will depend on the latency of the end-to-end circuit..and most likely not a problem unless someone is going over a satellite link :wink:

Roger,

From what I read on the BT.com website, unlike other VOIP that require a special 'phone, only a normal telephone is required which just plugs into their supplied ADSL modem /router.
A separate telephone number is also supplied. The PC is not required to be switched on for it to work, only the router needs to be permanently powered.
Its the possibility of hidden snags, charges and the usability that I wish to find out more about.
Would it work to another company's VOIP in Canada? Could I use a webcam?
My telephone bill is low anyway but I would like to use it to speak to friends in France who use Skype and Canada also.

aldel":15bnbwda said:
Roger,

From what I read on the BT.com website, unlike other VOIP that require a special 'phone, only a normal telephone is required which just plugs into their supplied ADSL modem /router.

Their FAQs say you can use your own kit but then need their adapter. Technically it looks fine.

Its the possibility of hidden snags, charges and the usability that I wish to find out more about.

Again, their FAQs state that mobile calls are chargeable. I can't see any reference to being able to call internationally either. I suggest you read their FAQs and Ts and Cs with an eagle and jaundiced eye.

Could I use a webcam?

No..

Hi,

If you use Skype, you can use a webcam, it's a beta version and is currently a bit rough - the sync between lips and sound is sometimes a little out! However, at the speed they release new versions, it won't be long 'till it's fine.

We use one on NTL broadband to relatives in both New Zealand and the USA and unless we need to talk to a POTS phone, there is no charge. We also have a number allocated for people to call us if they don't have Skype, but this IS chargeable, so it's never been used.

HTH,

Colin

Back