Bragging Rights?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard in Smithville

Established Member
Reaction score
I hope nobody minds me putting this here. A little while back, the management of my company announced that they were looking for people to enter a P.I.T. Rodeo(Powered Industrial Truck)
img01_03_n.jpg

I said, "sure, why not", and won the chance to compete at an international level. Today was the big day. I went up against some of the best operators across North America. I didn't expect much, in fact I was just there for the fun. Imagine my surprise when I came in third. Needless to say I am pretty thrilled. Well that's my boast. Thanks for reading.

Congratulations,Richard :D

I used to drive forklift trucks quite a lot in my youth - rough terrain ones on farms,small ones in a warehouse,and 6 tonne lift ones in transport (lifting 20' containers about)
Enjoyed it all,but still fancy having a go with a 40 tonne toplifter - but as they cost upwards of £250,000,there aren't many around here other than at the docks :(

Andrew

Well done you! I once used one to remove a rotting (dead) boar from where I had to live for a month in Bosnia - think I'd have had a chance??? :wink:

Thanks for the kind words guys. Competing in a PIT Rodeo was new to me. I wasn’t sure just what I was getting myself into. I competed at the company level first against guys that I work with. As one of the top compeditors, I found myself heading to compete at the international level.

The rodeo consisted of three parts. First was the theory test. Most of it covered safety on the lift truck and some basic knowledge.It was multiple choice and true/false questions.

After that was a demonstration of pre-check. This is something that should be done before every shift. This includes checking fluif levels, hoses, structural components, brakes, controls, and anything else that can impede safe operation of the PIT.

The fun can next. We started by moving a pallet(forward), snaking through a series of cones. After setting the pallet down in a marked square, we collected a pipe from a stand and moved it to another stand about 30 feet away. Next was to move a bin and place it on a line(the far side of the bin), and move it back into a marked square. Then to a drum on a pallet. Pick it up and snake in reverse through a series of cones as the course moves around a number of curves. Then place the pallet in a marked square and park the truck. For a bonus round I picked up a basketball and sunk a basket( two minute time limit on this one).
I had a awful lot of fun and was plesantly surprised by the results.

Time for dinner now but I will try and post a picture of the trophy later.

Richard, should the toes of the forks be up in the air like that when its parked up??
:lol:

Back