Bosch Multipurpose Tool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I saw those. Must say I was very tempted at the price.
I see Fein are bringing out a new machine, too.
Philly :D

I bought a fein kit at the NEC show some years ago wondering if it would justify it's cost for hobby use. It is one of the most versatile tools and an excellent buy - I fitted laminate flooring last year and it made trimming the door frames, skirting etc simple (but time consuming for a long run of skirting).

The saw blades are expensive but simple to resharpen (if not the bimetallic ones) with a normal triangular file - I've probably resharpened mine 6 times so far, so don't worry when I have to cut into the cement dab when cutting out a wall socket or cable channel.

The only 'gripe' I have is that the abrasive backing is too weak so fails too quickly - proper hook and loop would be better.

Main tasks I have used mine for:

cutting plasterboard and insulation block for sockets and cable runs
trimming doors, skirting and door frames to laminate
trimming laminate (when not a straight chop saw cut)
removing skirting board (easy to cut vertically)
fast sanding
removing glue (with the scraper)
cutting tiles
removing tile adhesive (with the carbide disc)
cutting behind skirting etc to cut though screws and nails

Seeing as the Bosch seems to do all the same main functions assuming its the usual bosch build standard I would recommend as a more cost effective option for occasional use - I havent tried one but suspect I would have bought it if available at the time.

stevie.c":1kcy1w0i said:
are the bosch blades compatible with the fein ?

My first question Stevie, and I don't know!

My B&Q didn't have any packs of replacement blades on sale to have a look at and the boxes containing the tool were all sealed so I couldn't have a sly sneak!

Needless to say enquiries to the nearest staff member were met with 'Er, dunno, it's new...'

They couldn't even tell me how much the bosch blades are.

Dan

I'm 99% sure that they are compatible with the old model Fein, but they are definitely not compatible with the new Fein because the new star fitting is quite wide. I had the thought that you could bore the mounting hole out to a wider diameter but I haven't tried it. If you buy the Fein blades in bulk, the cost per blade isn't that much more than the Bosch. Maybe the Fein blades are better quality and will last longer too - or at least thats what I tell myself!

FWIW, I had a look at the Bosch before buying the Fein - the difference in build quality is like night and day, and when comparing price, don't forget that the Bosch kit is more comparable to something in between the basic (~£100) and 'Select' Fein kits - not the 'Top' kit.

Cheers,
Neil

Neil isn't there an adapter Fein sell for their new Mutlimasters - would that work on the Bosch?
Interesting that you've done a direct comparison. Have to say I've always been tempted but you're right the Multimaster Start isn't that much more. Plus it has more power and loads of attachments. Was going to try and get one thorugh on my "expenses" for fitting the kitchen which is sitting flat packed in the dining room ;)!
Cheers
Gidon
(PS forgot to say that I checked out B&Q for the Bandsaw Book and they were all gone a few days after my post - sorry :()

gidon":37jqb8t6 said:
Was going to try and get one thorugh on my "expenses" for fitting the kitchen
Exactly what I did :D

I think all the Fein attachments will fit the Bosch - they'll probably go straight on but may slip a little, or I'm sure that the adapter you mention would fit and that would stop the slipping. I've read that the Bosch blades have 10mm holes, like the old Fein, and as the new Fein blades will go on the old model they mush fit the Bosch too.

Thanks for checking B&Q - don't worry about the book. I should probably get a bandsaw first anyway! :oops: :lol:

Cheers,
Neil

stevie.c":2tr32iw1 said:
are the bosch blades compatible with the fein ?

Yes. With the old model. I bought some when they first came out and although not as well made as the Fein blades they work fine. They were on offer and I bought a few. The Fein blades are so espensive that the Multimaster is very much my tool of last resort.

gidon":2tr32iw1 said:
Neil isn't there an adapter Fein sell for their new Mutlimasters - would that work on the Bosch?

There is an adapter but I think it is to offer some of the advantages of the new blades on the older Fein. So yes it would work on the Bosch but only to allow the new Fein blades to work with it which rather defeats the object of buying a tool which has cheaper blades. It can't (as far as I know) be used to allow the Bosch blades to be used with the new Multimaster.

Andrew

The expensive Fein blades (the ones with the simple tooth pattern, not Japanese style) including the Universal E-cut and the Segmented 'circular' saw blades can be resharpened with a Dremel and some patience.

I use the small diamond discs lubricated with WD40, and the Dremel set to about half speed.

Discs like the Screw Doctor ones (3 disks and a mandrel for around £1.50) are superb for the job.

Good light, and a magnifier help!! SWMBO's jewelry making anglepoise desk magnifier is ideal!

With the blades at £18 each re-sharpening is well worth the effort.

Wow!
I used a Fein MultiMaster for the first time yesterday. It was at the start of a 'virgin' session fitting laminate flooring for a relative, where some other guys were fitting solid oak floors downstairs. I'd asked for a little advice with the door-casing and architrave, when the Fein was produced & demo'd, then handed over without hesitation. :shock: (Thanks James)

To say that I was impressed is an understatement...I had originally intended to use a pull-saw to trim to height, but this thing is the dog's.

Being the Tackle-Tart that I am, I have just been online & ordered the 'Top' kit. Thanks for the heads-up Dan.

'Christmas' will be arriving in the next couple 'o days! :D

Latest posts

Back