Bird ID book

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Bear

Established Member
Reaction score
Having moved to the country recently, and seeing the variety of visitors we have to the garden, we'd like to get a bird identification guide. I'm talking purely amateur here not some scientific tome. Literally to ID the feathered visitors we have to the garden. Some books seem to have photos and some illustrations and both have their fans, is either better, I'd have assumed photos would be best. Needs to be something readily available not obscure and out of print. I would prefer it to be hardback but thats not essential.

There are too many guides for an amateur to choose from, so any suggestions?

Mark

I like Collins Complete Guide to British Birds. There is a hardback version but they seem difficult to find.

good morning, i also like to know what bird as visited the garden so i got an app for iphone, 69p . probably be an equivalent for android , just gives basic info pictures, bird calls (sound ) & a bit of background info. I always have phone to hand so can quickly identify even if i'm out walking the dogs.

cheers,
john

Roger
Thanks, that is one I have seen

John
I would like a book. Firstly I like books as I find them easier to browse, especially in situations like this. Second there is no mobile reception on any network where I live and the wifi doesn't extend much outside so I'd be restricted to using it only when looking through the window. Never the less a good suggestion for anyone in a more technologically supporting environment. (I do in fact have excellent broadband as I live next door to a telephone exchange)

Any other bird spotters amongst us with any other books to suggest?

Mark

RogerP":1rgq5hi9 said:
I like Collins Complete Guide to British Birds. There is a hardback version but they seem difficult to find.

+1
I bought my soft back about 30 years ago and it's still the one I carry on my walks.

Trawl the charity shops for bird books you can usually find something decent and cheap and help the charity.

The Collins guide is excellent for enthusiasts, focusing mainlly on visual identification, but can be confusing for the more casual birdwatcher, as it contains perhaps too much detail and features lots of European birds which are rarely or never found in UK.
The RSPB Handbook of British birds is not purely a visual guide, but gives other info in a concise form which can help you make an ID, such as habitat, what parts of the country and what time of year particular birds are likely to be seen. This can help you pinpoint an ID by building up a number of clues. It also features one page per bird, which helps to keep things simple.

The first pic is a page from Collins, the second is from RSPB Handbook I mentioned above.
By the way, most birders,I think, tend to prefer illustrations rather than photos for identification, as they are not subject to the vagaries of light and shade, or individual differences which can confuse matters.
book-1.jpg

book-1-2.jpg

Attachments

• book-1.jpg
    book-1.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 1,011
  • book-1-2.jpg
    book-1-2.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 1,011
Hi

The RSPB have a useful online tool on their website to help identify birds.

You might be interested in participating in their upcoming Big Bird Watch which is the 24th to 25th of January. It only takes an hour.

Jamie

Back