Best Insulation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max Power

Established Member
Reaction score
What type of insulation for heat loss in a shed would also give reasonable airborne sound reduction as well ?

This is what I used recently https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/pro ... qgEALw_wcB Available elsewhere and in different thicknesses.

Not as good a heat insulator as celotex and similar, but much better for sound and it still does give very worthwhile heat insulation nonetheless.

Celotex and similar can actually amplify sound in some situations the manufacturer told me when I was looking into last year, acts like a sound board or drum skin !

johnnyb":k9hc3amb said:
If your creating a cold wall you really need a vapour barrier to avoid mouldy wood.

A vapour barrier on the inside of the insulation, for the avoidance of doubt.

Hard flat surfaces reflect sound and can often amplify sound. Soft surfaces deaden sound.
Rockwool or similar loft insulation is good for both needs.

Just as an aside on this thread.
I was recently in Hungary visiting a friend who took me to a building supplier to show me some cladding he was considering using on his existing uninsulated timber framed garage/workshop.
Here is a pic.

panel.jpg

panel 2.jpg

Each panel was 1m wide and 6m long with various thicknesses available (50mm, 100mm, 150mm). The outer shell was made from alloy sheeting and was filled with polyurethane foam and the edges were formed such that it was possible to interlock the panels together.

I haven't seen them in the UK but I am moving to Hungary myself very soon and I will be having a new workshop built. What are the thoughts on this material?

Steve

Attachments

• panel.jpg
    panel.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 166
  • panel 2.jpg
    panel 2.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 166
Yes I've used the Rockwool Flexi Slabs in the past and was pleased with their overall performance.
Go for the thickest slab insulation you can accommodate.

Steliz":1eme3dhd said:
The outer shell was made from alloy sheeting and was filled with polyurethane foam and the edges were formed such that it was possible to interlock the panels together.

That sounds worryingly similar to the cladding material used on the high-rise towers in London, might be worth double checking on its fire retarding properties.

Thanks everyone for the knowledgeable replies, Rockwool it is.
I'll be lining the inside with osb , will this be sufficient on its own as a vapour barrier ?

Steliz":pd2g5lmv said:
Just as an aside on this thread.
I was recently in Hungary visiting a friend who took me to a building supplier to show me some cladding he was considering using on his existing uninsulated timber framed garage/workshop.
Here is a pic.

Each panel was 1m wide and 6m long with various thicknesses available (50mm, 100mm, 150mm). The outer shell was made from alloy sheeting and was filled with polyurethane foam and the edges were formed such that it was possible to interlock the panels together.

I haven't seen them in the UK but I am moving to Hungary myself very soon and I will be having a new workshop built. What are the thoughts on this material?

Steve

Kingspan do panels like these - I saw some on the motorway today - PU foam is pretty much the best thermal insulator for a given thickness (besides exotic/expensive things). I think that the main advantage for this kind of panel is it potentially makes construction quicker and less skilled - you could of course get theoretically get a pretty much identical performance by combining pressed metal cladding and PU insulation (plus vapour barrier) as separate elements. Cheers, W2S

Back