Becoming a "Grumpy old man" but......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dexteria

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently received a gift of a sum of money to buy some tools. I decided to go for a nice new hammer, mortice gauge, some clamps and a host of other small items.

The "Douglas" hammer head is not square to the shaft, the mortice gauge head was stuck on the shaft (I forced it off and sanded the shaft down) and the clamps have 125mm wide stickers on two sides of the shaft which are very very sticky and taking hours to remove (I have 6 clamps like this). The other marking gauge I ordered has a nice barcode label which is also very sticky plonked onto the shaft.

The tools are from more than one supplier so thats not the problem. It seems no matter what price range of tools you buy these days the quality is just absolute c**p.

Like I say I'm becoming a grumpy old man but is there any wonder? :evil:

Mark

So there you are! We have been looking all over for you! :shock: :D :D :D

:) ;)

Welcome to the forum anyway -you will find many with similar gripes

I personally have found that it is not so much the tools themselves (you pay heftly for quality) but the tool reseller and how the tools are presented/handled . For example, as described, price stickers in the most inappropriate places and are a PITA to remove; also the container is destroyed by the time it arrives on your doorstep!

Yet we are suckers for the goodies! :oops:

dexteria":33ao43r3 said:
the clamps have 125mm wide stickers on two sides of the shaft which are very very sticky and taking hours to remove
I'm guessing you bought these ones as I've had exactly the same experience!

Cheers,
Neil

Sticky labels have been a pet hate of mine for some years. A cause of great grumpiness. I did find something called ‘sticky stuff remover’ in a Lakelands brand of shop a couple of years ago. It works a treat. Just scrape what comes off easily with some old penknife, and then apply remover to the sticky mess of glue on bits of remaining label & wipe off with a kitchen towel. It may take two or three goes before the last hint of glue vanishes. I was so pleased I went back to the shop and cleared their remaining stock on the self! (Two or three bottles). I’ve still got one left in my workshop. I hope they still do it. I must get in some more reserves as I still really hate sticky labels and I'm trying not to be too grumpy. This may not help our antipodeans though as it may not be available down under.

dexteria":16whuk3o said:
very very sticky and taking hours to remove

The correct Grumpy Old Man term for this is "sticks like s**t to a blanket". If you've had children you'll know the relevance :roll:

Paul

Paul wrote :

dexteria wrote:
very very sticky and taking hours to remove

Yes, this also adds to my quota of things I get extremely grumpy about, tho' some labels are easy to remove and some need to be nuked with meths (what I use) and wire wool, and even then there is a slight smear of goo left, it iritates me beyond belief - Rob

Note to tool suppliers,

YOU DONT WANT TO DO IT LIKE THAT!!

Only Meeee!
:-#
No offence Dexteria.
Ok, i'll get me coat.

FWIW I find that simple white spirit removes most label residue - but i agree that the use of these **** things is really annoying !

Victor Meldrew (alias Colin S)

Has anyone tried taking a lable of a glass food jar recently?

Years ago we just left them for an hour in water and the label would just float off. These days soaking seems to have little affect and one end ups scraping the residue of with fingernails.

Andy

This used to drive me wild, too. However, I then re-discovered a long lost childhood friend: acetone, AKA 'industrial thinners', or any toluene/xylene mix. Smells just like the dope I used to make model aircraft with, toxic as hell, but it'll rip any label glue off like it ain't even there. I buy it in gallon cans from the local car repair shop, and use it to clean brushes as well... Takes old varnish off things a treat, too... HTH.

Back