Bandsaw Blues: What Should I Get?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scouse

Established Member
Reaction score
So, I need a bandsaw. Not happy about it, but a long standing rotator cuff injury has had me laid up for weeks and finally left me with no alternative than to stop large scale sawing by hand and buy one. Capacity isn't everything, but 25cm up would be good, build quality and longevity is important though.

I’m looking at spending £1500ish, and getting the best that I can at this price or a bit less, but it already seems to be a money pit, with extraction and 16 amp electrics etc! Not to mention Steve's DVDs!

They all seem to have certain little faults and such, but I’m aware that reviews don’t always give an accurate representation and for every problematic machine there are a hundred OK ones. Anyway, I’ve narrowed it down to the following:

Startrite 502E

Hammer N4400

Axminster AP4300T/1

Having said that, I've just noticed that Startrite have £100 off the 352E, smaller capacity, but £500 less than the 502E.

So, questions:

Which one and why?

What difference does the smaller 14 inch wheel make to the 352 saw, given the not that much greater capacity of the 19 inch 502?

Er... that’s it really, but any other suggestions would be welcome!

Oh; also, all of the above manufacturers seem cagey about the respective countries of origin...

El.

I've just gone through the same process. I finally settled on the Hammer N4400 (which contrary to rumours is made in Felder's Austrian factory). I settled on the Hammer not because i thought it was particularly better than the other options, but because they'd fit the attachment plates that will allow the the use of my existing Felder extension tables.

I think part of bandsaw choice, especially if you really plan to use the machine to the full, isn't just about the machine itself but also about the peripherals such as fence quality (or will it take a decent aftermarket fence) and extension tables.

You could contact alt spares to see if they have a reconditioned startrite as they sell spares for and service them.
Otherwise a Meber is a good choice and you can import one direct from northern Italy for the money you are talking about.

Latest posts

Back