B*gg*r

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick W

Established Member
Reaction score
I have drilled the wrong stile of a door for the handle. Usual reasons - running late, rushing, tired, blah blah. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I have tried plugging the holes, but they still show. I don't really want to have to remake the entire door frame (it's a frame and panel job in solid Oak b.t.w.), I don't want to have to remake the stile anyway as the hinges I'm using have required some pretty complicated housing to be made in that stile.

Can anyone think of a quick and easy way of skimming the front off the stile so I can stick a veneer over it? [-o< The door is 2300 x 670 x 20, so is pretty heavy and unweildy.

Help!

Nick,
Quick and dirty - I'd get a friend to help me slide it over the table saw between blade and fence to skim a bit off. It will need to be held fairly upright! Sounds difficult but not really and given mass of door and two people not really dangerous IMO - assuming you have a riving knife fitted, which you can lower a tad below blade height.

how about making a feature of the screw up, and putting coloured dowels in as a contrast, seems a more sensible approach to putting a veneer on it, since almost always, the mistake will show through.

add dowels around all the stiles.

but then i'm a lazy sod.

paul :wink:

Chris,

Ah, but if I do it with the door horizontal, akin to cutting tenons with a RAS that'd do the trick! I can use the fence to control the cut width too. :idea:

Thanks for the inspiration, you've saved my bacon.

hi nick, you could run the stile through the saw just beyond the hole and glue another lenght of timber back on? gets me out of trouble quite a few times. especially with kitchen hinges on moulded doors, normally about 30 seconds after someone has adjusted the tennoner and spindle.

Router with a planing bit? Set the fence so the bit can't get to the rails and skim off enough for a veneer layer. Make the veneer layer a hair proud of the rails and bring it down with a plane and scraper.

I can feel your frustration Nick. Show us pictures if you can.

D

Paul,

Thanks for the idea, unfortunately I'd have to do it on all the other doors too.

Les,

Don't you know it's wrong to kick a man when he's down? [-X :D

Nick W":3hb9utub said:
Can anyone think of a quick and easy way of skimming the front off the stile so I can stick a veneer over it? [-o< The door is 2300 x 670 x 20, so is pretty heavy and unwieldy.
Portable power planer with a side fence fitted. Standard joiner's tool methinks and a ruddy site safer than trying to pass a door on edge over a saw, etc. (no exposed blade to worry about). Alternatively use a spindle moulder with a large diameter rebate block (or better still a tenoning disc) to take a wide, shallow rebate out. Fill the "rebate" with a planed one side, bandsawn "veneer" then plane/scrape to refinish.

Scrit

P.S. Who's Mr. Hawk?

Scrit,

Yes, bandsawn "veneer" (3-4mm) is definitley the plan. If only I had a large disk for my moulder then I would of course follow your sage advice. However needs must... Wish me luck.

For Mr Hawk see here

How about the hand power planer approach, then?

Thanks for filling me in on how dangerous Mr. Chicken is..... :lol:

Scrit

There is one more idea ( as this is some thing I have had to do lots of, repairing patchs) .
An old restorers trick ( I'am not that old :-k ) find some oak that will match the wood you have drilled out and cut out a diamond shape ( if you fell brave ,you can make it like a long diamond with the grain running from top to bottom) and cut it in.
If you get a bit that matchs the grain very well, it should be very hard to see after ( you must make sure you make around it slowly, so you get a good joint )

Thanks to everyone for your most helpful suggestions.

In the end I was still too tired to attempt anything with a feeling of safety yesterday, and I had to deliver the 'robe today. I showed the customer the damage and offered to reduce the price if they would accept it as is, or to take that door away and fix it later. They decided to take it as is, but still wrote a cheque the full price :shock:

So not only is forumdom full of nice people, customerhood is too.

As to how I would have fixed it ... I think that a thick veneer would have been the best solution, coupled with a bit of investment in a large tenoning disk for the spindle to skim the face of the stile.

Interestingly the lady of the house suggested putting more plugs all round the frames as an option too - thank goodness she was joking.

Back