Avast difference

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick W

Established Member
Reaction score
I got peed off with Norton this morning when it repeatedly refused to start up properly, leaving me in a state where I could not send or receive e-mail so I took it off my system. And what a task that was. :roll:

I now have Avast installed.

However now, when I use the Back button in IE7 on this forum, neither the topic icons, nor forum icons change colour to reflect their read status, though they will do so if I press the Refresh button. Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know how to fix it?

TIA

Nick,

I am sure that this is nothing to do with Norton/AVG. When you click back on the browser is just reloads the previous page which showed the post as unread. Refresh reloads the page from the server which by now knows that you have read the topic. So I guess that it has always worked like that unless Norton was destroying the cache and forcing the browser to do a refresh.

Or am I missing the point somewhere?

Andrew

The back button just uses the cache memory ( I think) so its like the 1st time it visits the page in any session. The refresh reloads the page off the server so the I have been here and read this cookie or what ever it is shows the posts as read.

There you go a non technical explanation :shock:

Guys,

I'm sure you're right - I just liked it when I didn't have either:
a) use two mouse clicks
or
b) locate the back link on the current page
to get an update view of the previous page. Is there any way to force IE to get an updated version of the page when using the Back button, which I guess amounts to turning off the cache?

As a total aside, why can you get away with peed off? when I get a rap on the knuckles and a modedit for p****d off, as I no doubt will again, very shortly. :cry:

Chris.

Must be something to do with my natural charm and boyish good looks. :roll: :lol:

Latest posts

Back