Anyone make their own soup?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
Following on from the interesting thread on bread making (of which I'm munching a large slab as I type)....does anyone make their own soup? Not allot more pleasant to eat than a couple of hunks of hot, fresh granary bread and a large bowl of home made veg soup.
I went down to the market yesterday and bought two large JS shopping bags of cheap veg (time it right and they practically give the veg away)... cauli, brocoli, leeks, onion and carrot. When I got home I chopped it all up, threw it in our very large stock pot, chuck in a bag of pulses (pre-boiled for half an hour as they're toxic if not properly cooked) a handful of vegi stock cubes and then simmer the whole lot for about 2 hours.
This morning when everything had cooled I nuked it all in the liquidiser a little at a time and then used some of those cheap freezer tubs from Tesco to store it in the freezer. Its gona taste great but looks a little bit like the baby food we used to make years ago - :wink: Rob

Yes my missus, but it is that thin Chinese stuff that is no good with a loaf of bread. Reminds me of dishwater, I don't have it very often as you can tell. :)

woodbloke":2whsfcdz said:
....does anyone make their own soup?

When my wife and I bought our first house back in 1971, we were so skint that we lived on home-made soup, bread and jam :shock: :shock: :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

If it clucks, quacks, moo's or bleats, grows in the garden or looks vaguely edible Mrs scrums will make soup out of it and very good it is too.......just the bread to go with it to get right!

Tip: If freezing, freeze as portion or x number of portion packs....(....she says, looking over my shoulder....)

Chris.

my mrs makes lovely fresh tomato soup :) and luckily tomato soup is my favorite anyway

double bonus :lol:

woodbloke":1fpvrzpt said:
vegi stock cubes
Tsk tsk... :roll:

My mum's a wiz at making soup - too bad I don't like it more. Did a fish chowder yesterday - cod, potatoes, onion, carrots (s'posed to be green beans, but you know what these cooks are...), chicken stock (not a cube!) milk and white wine. Not bad, even though I dislike fish even more than soup! :lol: Cauliflower soup's about the nicest way to eat the darn thngs too, imo; very cheap round these parts, it having some of the characteristics of the Sto Plains, so we see a lot of cauliflowers... :roll:

Anyway, my mum's Tip Of The Day for Soup Of the Day - want to thicken your soup? My friends, do as the aliens do and for mash get Smash. Works a treat I gather. And to give your soup airs and graces, make yourself some croutons. Squares of bread, fried in olive oil, dash of salt and a sprinkle of finely chopped parsley. The latter is naturally chopped up and frozen in a pot, ready to go.

Sheesh, I'm hungry now. :(

Cheers, Alf

Oh my God, sacrilege, may the great chef of the skies cut you down Alf,
croutons must be cooked in butter, all is lost run for your lives.

Actually, I roast my croutons a la Delia Smith. They have the great virtue of longevity in a tupperware-type container.

Isn't home made soup great?

:)

Gill

mailee":2uv9tfd5 said:
Yes my missus, but it is that thin Chinese stuff that is no good with a loaf of bread. Reminds me of dishwater, I don't have it very often as you can tell. :)

Does she put noodles in it and expect you to eat it with chopsticks? :shock: My wife does ( she is Taiwanese) - it has to be the messiest thing to eat ever!!

That said, she does make a very nice vegetable soup, Western style too. :)

Dave

Alf wrote:

My friends, do as the aliens do and for mash get Smash

Is that the ghastly, artificial powdery white stuff wot aliens are fond of....and what's wrong with vegi stock cubes, 'specially if the're organic ones. To thicken up soup I just lob in a couple of chopped up spuds and cook them as the soup reheats, works a treat. Besides if I want to get smashed I use something else....comes in a bottle :lol: - Rob

Yep, that's the stuff. Not something I'd ever eat "as is", but it really does the job and more effectively than "real" potato. As for the stock cubes - just pulling your leg really. Always gets a rise out of my mum too. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

my wife makes tomato soup which the kids love but I'm not so keen on. It freezes quite well too and can be taken out and nuked when the kids feel peckish. One tip on freezing. We don't have many sensible size tupperware boxes so when something is frozen it gets hoiked out and put in a ziplock bag. This also takes up less room in the freezer - works well with all sorts of different things. We used to do the same with yoghurt in an icecube tray when we made our own yoghurt - still works fine for starting a new batch. Oh and finally slice up a few lemons, freeze on some grease proof paper and once frozen pop in a bag. Then you always have a slice of lemon for your G&T - and it helps to cool the drink :wink: - at least that is what SWMBO says - can't stand gin myself.

Steve

Woodbloke, you have just reported the universal soup recipe!

I have one variation, which is to use a dollop of butter ( be careful to measure out an imperial dollop, not a metric dollop ) and "sweat" the onions and chopped veg for 15 minutes first over a low heat ( dont let the butter burn) before adding boiling water and stock. I don't know how or why, but this always seems to leave me with a stronger tasting soup.

Down these parts it's Cawl made with thick cut vegetables and neck of lamb, wife makes it in a large bucket size container.
Nowadays she leaves the boiled neck of lamb to go cold to skim off the fat and boy is there some fat.

Latest posts

Back