Another Lab bowl.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score
Another Laburnum bowl just kept plain and simple,and letting the lovely grain pattern in this one do all the talking :D
Noticed the darker shading in this one which is in the pith area with a split.
I thought it was rot at first but the wood is firm still :?
Size is 230mm x 90mm.Finished with Food safe oil.
Comments welcome.

laburnumbowl-1.jpg

laburnumbowlinner.jpg

That's lovely Paul. The bit of Lab I turned not so long ago went a strange yellowy colour when turning. None of that lovely dark brown.

That's a big chunk of Laburnum you've whittled away there Paul, any particular reason for the FS oil, was it still green?

That is a lovely bowl...would make any table look good..
Love the finish inside the bowl..lovely curves.
What size blank was the laburnum blank..What I am asking
was there much waste..?
Have not see large pieces of laburnum for sale.

Would give that Bowl house space...

Thanks for the comments :D
Chas i used FSO as it will be used as a fruit bowl.
Carol showed the smaller one i turned to her friend,(the one we was going to buy That large Walnut lump for at Westonbirt),but liked the Laburnum so have turned a larger one for her :D

This Lab was a large trunk i got some time ago and cut it up into blank sizes and sealed.
The one in these piccys,ready to be turned, is the other half of the one turned.
It is 250mm dia x 150mm at it's highest point,but most of that will be turned away.

labchuck.jpg

labchuck1.jpg

I think I'd have been inclined to turn that the other way around. Wouldn't you get more depth that way?

That’s a brilliant bowl Paul, really nice shape in my opinion. Although I’ve got a few questions about FS finishes:

1. Do you apply a primer, such as sand and sealer?
2. Are there any other FS finishes apart from Oil?

I’ll admit I’m being a lazy pipper here, not done any research, so anyone would be well within their rights to send me packing
:D

Yes Paul, this is really a splendid bowl, we call that stuff ''gouden regen''
I never turned laburnum, beautiful colored wood.
Great job!!
Ad

nice bowl Paul
good to see plenty of screws in the face plate
i've seen that dark area in the heart wood before- i assumed it was the early stages of rot- so i'm glad your piece is o.k

Paul.J":1hp2f7nc said:
....Chas i used FSO as it will be used as a fruit bowl.

I think I would have used SS and Melamine to seal the Laburnum as it's for food use, but I guess that as it's not for 'wet' food the chances of contamination are extremely small.

Thank you for the comments.Much appreciated :D

Santos wrote
1. Do you apply a primer, such as sand and sealer?
2. Are there any other FS finishes apart from Oil?
On this piece i have just applied the FS Oil straight to the bare timber,as you want the oil to soak into the wood.
Let it soak in and apply another good coat,then wipe off the excess.
If it was for none food useage than you can apply the sanding sealer and wax or whatever finish you feel.Or as Chas suggests SS and melamine finish which would give a harder more durable finish.Might do that on the next one :D

Lovely looking bowl Paul. I don't think I would have guessed it was Laburnum though. I have never really thought it that critical what finish you put on a fruit bowl as it's dry food. I tend to wax them as IME most wives wax polish everything anyway :lol:

Pete

Latest posts

Back