Another Elm form

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny.t.

Established Member
Reaction score
Continuing my exploration of side displayed pointy ended forms, this is the latest. I wanted to make an organic shaped form long the lines of a nut with the 'lid' forming the emerging tap root,I remembered a piece of Elm I had with a deep bark inclusion that had been 'swallowed' up by the trunk and the idea that the crack would represent the splitting nut case in the germination process came to me. I made the form last Saturday but have been looking for the right mount, I went for a long walk today(7 miles) and found along the way some nice shaped Ivy perfect for the job.The piece is 13" long and hollowing it out with the crack was 'fun'. It has a plain oil finish.Comments and critiques are very welcome.

seedpodbatcavesmall.jpg

seedpodbatcavesmall1.jpg

seedpodbatcavesmall2.jpg

JT

I like the curve flow control you've achieved on this piece johnny, certainly a worthy addition to the theme you're developing.
The Elm certainly lends itself well to this treatment (form).

Nice one Johnny...anything with a hole in it is OK by me :lol: I do like these pieces mounted on natural wood as well. Look forward to the rest of the elm.

Pete

Beautiful piece Johnny. As soon as I looked at it I thought seed pod rather than a nut.

john

Hi JT,

You've managed to create another beautiful form.

Nice to see you probing this idea and creating further pieces on this theme, the split/hole is particlarly appealing for this piece and I agree with Pete about the natural wood stand.

Cheers,

Lee.

Hi Johnny

I really like where you are going with this. I don;t know about you but I find that when producing a piece with an idea in mind/background reference, then it seems to be more enjoyable as the is much more of a connection with the piece and working it.

My only comment would be that your work really needs a gradient photo background or another photo background as it will heighten the visual impact of the pieces a lot the pics do not do the piece justice and the creases in the background draw me away from the piece itself.

Thankyou for all your replies :) It means a lot that you take the time to look and give your thoughts on a piece. :D

Paul.J":fbhtxike said:
Aren't you getting the urge to colour summat yet :lol:

:lol: :lol: These organic based designs don't lend themselves to colouring(but you know that already PJ! :lol: )

mark sanger":fbhtxike said:
Hi Johnny

......I don;t know about you but I find that when producing a piece with an idea in mind/background reference, then it seems to be more enjoyable as the is much more of a connection with the piece and working it.

My only comment would be that your work really needs a gradient photo background or another photo background as it will heighten the visual impact of the pieces a lot the pics do not do the piece justice and the creases in the background draw me away from the piece itself.

Hi Mark, I do like working from an idea,the process of taking a concept from the mind,designing it on paper and finally producing it gives a great deal of personal satisfaction when it all comes together :)

I do need to sort out my picture set up,its not just the flimsy white background sheet in my tent but also my lighting, both colour and intensity. Thankfully my camera allows me to set the white balance so even with my standard household bulbs I can get a good colour representation of a piece.

Cheers all, JT

Hi,

I think I mentioned this in another thread but I also really appreciate your use of a more natural, matt finish to your recent work.

Both George (Cornnucopia) and Pete also use this fnish to great effect.

I am beginning to see the advantages of this finish and how it really ties in with the work.

Cheers,

Lee.

Thinking about what finish you want is all part and parcel of turning, different finishes suit different pieces and can be used to change the feel of a piece(not literally although obviously it does). I love a matt oil finish on these more organic pieces, it suits what they are about/trying to say.

JT

Latest posts

Back