Amusing measuring mistakes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:)

My own personal 'best mismeasure' was during my first few months (in the late 80's) working for a company installing car radios etc.At a time when most non luxury new cars came without a radio, antenna etc so work was good.

I think it was a Fiat Uno in for a radio, speakers and aerial to be fitted. All went well until backing the car out of the workshop we noticed something was a little off. The newly fitted roof aerial did not line up with the interior mirror. It appeared my dividing by two skills were not quite as good as they could be :oops: and I had drilled the hole an inch off centre! #-o
I think this was the start of my 'thinking outside the box' philosophy. Luckily the interior rear view mirror was the type that was affixed to the windscreen :idea: Moved the mirror to line up with the aerial and parked the car up.

I continued to work for the same company for the next eight years and we never heard back from the Fiat owner so hopefully nobody noticed.

Some years ago I was retiling the en-suite shower room and removed all fittings including the close coupled toilet and cistern. These were stored in a spare bedroom. On completion of the tiling I measured the position of the holes to fix the toilet cistern and marked the tiles. Using the "measure twice, cut once" formula I checked again and the positions agreed. About two hours later, after searching for my tile/glass drill bit, I checked for a final time and drilled the holes. When I replaced the toilet and cistern, the holes were too high.
It took me a while to realise that I hade been measuring from the floor up in the spare bedroom but from the top of the skirting board in the shower room. :oops:

My late stepmother was busy measuring for blinds using her dressmaker's tape. When she'd finished, my Dad asked her how wide the window was. "Three feet fourteen inches" she said.

here's one for you, not really a miss measure. About 5 years ago i made a triple wardrobe for a customer, no problem with that.
A year ago they asked me to make another one for another bedroom exactly the same size as the first, so i measured the original
wardrobe and made the new one. On the day of delivery and armed with a helper, but try as we could it would not go up the stairs
i measured the original one again and they were both identical. After a lot of head scratching the customer then told me that during
the time from the 1st and 2nd wardrobes they had a new stairs fitted and the new one had a 1inch lower headroom. Had to take the
new wardrobe away and cut it in half and stitch it back together on site.

Back