ALL PLANS ARE FREE ON SKETCHUPWOODPLANS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandy20

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

some of you already know my website, since I post tutorials on SketchUp in the Design section of the Forum.

Starting from today all the plans you will find on www.sketchupwoodplans.com are downloadable for FREE

Along with the pdf plan you will also find the SketchUp file, so it will be easier to understand the plan, orbiting, zooming and measuring the 3D model.

You will also regularly find tutorials on the use of SketchUp, to better understand its use. If you go to the Design section of the forum you will find me and my friend Dave, that I consider to be one of the best SketchUp users in the world!

BUT I NEED YOUR HELP!!!

Help me in making SketchupWoodPlans a great website. Tell your friends, companions, colleagues, strangers...tell the old lady you help crossing the road...but just tell it!

This is the only way we all have to see SketchupWoodPlans becoming a great site with more and more plans inside!

Luca

I've just had a quick look at your website, realising I've previously visited before. And I've got the same thoughts as I had previously. It's simple, I don't think there's enough plans on it yet to make it a valuable resource. You could ask others to contribute, however the problem I see with that is in the future if you became bigger and decided to start charging again, ownership & copyright of the plans would become an issue.

Another thing is that alot of woodworkers find the design process very much a part of why they make things in the first place. It's a piece they've thought of, and once made is unique and possibly like no other.

Good luck anyway and I hope the site does take off for you in the future.

Thank you joiner, everything you say is correct.

I'm alone at the moment and I write tutorials, draw plans and manage the site. A lot of stuff to do and I'm aware about the future.

Nevertheless, I like doing things day by day and it is not my intention to charge plans in the future.

Do you remember that song from Morcheeba? ...Rome wasn't built in a day...

Luca

1st thoughts on the site:
1) well done
2) I'd have the ads on the left - they keep looking like menus / the most important thing
3) The little "connect" icons on every leader / headline makes the site feel too busy and would probably drive me away - feels too shouty
4) Why does each headline have a "read on" and a "read more" in close proximity?
5) Do you want any detailed comments on pages? For instance I looked at the plug in story:
a) it would be nice to see some more "recommended" plug ins (maybe just a list or a even a mini review/write up on your favourite ones)
b) incorrect capital on the Is before Cutlist
c) was a plug in used to make the picture of the plug at the top (assuming that this is something that you did) or was this a separate render programme?
5) Other possible topics which vex me:
a) How to print 1:1 for templates without buying the pro version
b) How to make pictures look nice - rendered / ray trace etc?
c) Keyboard short cuts for the tools - e.g. I know how to get to the orbit but how to get back to a pointer without needing to move up to the button bar?
d) Line styles and how to make sketches "work" well without needing to go through loads of combinations
6) I'd edit the site to remove mention to the store as this undermines your new policy (e.g. the table on the front page)

Good luck with all this :)

Miles

Thank you Miles, your advice is really appreciated and welcome! I need these kind of posts, it's the only way for me to improve and get a better site. I'll go through the site and make some corrections.

Topics will increase in the future, and some of what you said is already in my mind. Anyway, there's already a post on using shortcuts with SKetchUp, you can find it here

I'm a little confused by the term "vex", since for me means "to annoy". English is not my first language, so I could understand that those are the topics you don't want to see. Could you clarify?

Luca

Luca

Your understanding of "vex" is correct - these topics annoy me as I don't know how to do them :)

Glad I can be of help

Miles

Back