Alcove cupboard with floating shelves above

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrYorke

Established Member
Reaction score
Made from MR MDF.
Soft-close, concealed hinges.
Finished in Morrells water-based. 20% sheen. Sprayed with Earlex 5500
Cr*p B&Q handles supplied by customer.

I like it, very elegant.

Is a v groove where the rails meet the stiles? Either way nice job, that Morrells stuff is awesome.

James

Cheers. Was beginning to wonder that after so many views not many liked it.

Yes, v-groove where rails meet stiles. Something I've recently perfected (in my view) after several trials.

Started doing it as sometimes the rail and stile wouldn't sit flush. Thought it looked really nice so have done it to all doors since unless customer asks not to have it.

I've also started to add a small chamfer around the outside face/edge.

Very nice!

Can I ask how you constructed the floating shelfs? Especially how you made the front look so perfect.

Cheers,

H.

Halo Jones":fzks6i1w said:
Very nice!

Can I ask how you constructed the floating shelfs? Especially how you made the front look so perfect.

Cheers,

H.

I fix a batton to each side and back of the wall. I then glue and pin (using a compressor and nail gun) the top/bottom pieces of shelving. Then I glue a batton between the front 2 edges of the shelves to ensure the space between the shelves is the same. I then pin the face on having already cut this to size.

I normally cut the face a mil over and then trim on site with a track saw but this time I did it exact but as you can see there is a slight difference. Always best to cut it slightly bigger then trim on site just in case.

Batton size - 25mm soft wood
Top/bottom shelf - 15mm MR MDF

blackrodd":30t22mvs said:
Excellent work! well finished and a good paint job, should bring you in more work!
Regards Rodders

Cheers. I had already laid their new oak flooring the week before. They also want me to hang and paint some French doors. There will be more work over the years as the whole house needs doing.

Latest posts

Back