Advice Please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peggy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I haven't been on the forum for a while. But I have been making pens and finally mastered sharpening my tools which is a relief. I have a pile of broken blanks and I'm just wondering what is the best way to extract the brass tubes from the blank? Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,
Peggy

Hi Peggy,

The only way I've found of getting the brass tubes out is to put the broken blank(s) on the mandrel and turn the wood away. You can often fit three on at once because you can do without the spacers. When you get to the brass it doesn't do the tools any harm, but you have to be careful not to take too much off the actual tube so that it still fits into the 7mm (or whatever) hole you drill for it.

Hope this helps, when are we going to see photos of your pens?

Heather

Thank you Heather,

I was wondering if I should try that method. Its good to hear it doesn't harm the tools. Hmm yes photos I suppose it is about time I posted a photo. All the pens I've made lately are slimline but I have found that they aren't easy to make at all! The wood ends up paper thin and very breaky! Don't think I'll order slimline again.

Hi

Pop the ruined sleeves onto an open fire - the wood and glue will burn away, a quick rub with an abrasive pad, (scotchbrite), will clean the carbon / soot from the tube.

Regards Mick

Following on from Spindle's suggestion. Heat will break the CA glue bond. How about the oven while its on for other reasons. Watch the fire risk - don't leave them in too long.

Brian

So if I heat them up in the oven the tubes will just come out easily? That sounds almost too easy! I must try it. Burning them sounds good too, I think I'll try both and see which is best. Thank you both.

Tell us how you get on, Peggy, there's no way I'm lighting any fires until the weather gets cooler, but I'd like to know whether it works. And how you remove the soot from inside the tube......

Back