Advice on oil drum BBQ

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skronk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Want to make one and have a drum I cut yesterday.

Light rusting inside, but more rust and finished blue paint outside. I am not sure what sort of wheel to get for my grinder in order to remove the rust prior to painting. Can someone advise please ? Preferably something from Toolstation as they will deliver free over £10, whereas Screwfix want £10 or £15 on orders under £50. I live remotely, so dealing with internet companies normally results in "We do not deliver to Scottish Highlands". Hence reliance on Toolstation.

As an aside, I was looking for a 30mm to 25.4mm ring for my mitre saw.....the ring was £1.69....postage from down south to "remote location" was £19.95. Found one on the Bay for £1.95 post paid. Makes you laugh !!!!

Any help appreciated

skronk":162fod8f said:
Hi all,

Light rusting inside, but more rust and finished blue paint outside. I am not sure what sort of wheel to get for my grinder in order to remove the rust prior to painting. Can someone advise please ? Preferably something from Toolstation as they will deliver free over £10, whereas Screwfix want £10 or £15 on orders under £50. I live remotely, so dealing with internet companies normally results in "We do not deliver to Scottish Highlands". Hence reliance on Toolstation.

As an aside, I was looking for a 30mm to 25.4mm ring for my mitre saw.....the ring was £1.69....postage from down south to "remote location" was £19.95. Found one on the Bay for £1.95 post paid. Makes you laugh !!!!

Any help appreciated

Can you burn the blue paint off just by having a fire in it ?
to remove rust and paint from a curved surface I recommend you get a flexible backing pad for your grinder and use 24-36 grit discs. They will P..$$ through it. Handytools stock most things and are not bad for postage for France..
Postage costs often dictate from whom I buy.

woodfarmer":1lxnloco said:
skronk":1lxnloco said:
Hi all,

Any help appreciated

Can you burn the blue paint off just by having a fire in it ?
to remove rust and paint from a curved surface I recommend you get a flexible backing pad for your grinder and use 24-36 grit discs. They will P..$$ through it. Handytools stock most things and are not bad for postage for France..
Postage costs often dictate from whom I buy.

Thanks for reply,

I am not a metalworker in any sense of the word, so don't know about the fire idea.....could try I suppose ???

Any paint you put on it will come off where it gets hot when you use it so a waste of time really.
Cut it to the shape you want then have a good fire in it to remove oil residue & toxins, take care as it's sometime quite scary just how big a blaze you can get off the oil residue DAMHIKT
After you're happy you've had a long enough fire to burn off everything that could tarnish your food when used as a BBQ, just use it as if is.

I've used quite a few oil drums as incinerators down the allotment, they work well but don't last long particularly if water is left to stand in them.

Doug B":2rugng7u said:
Any paint you put on it will come off where it gets hot when you use it so a waste of time really.
Cut it to the shape you want then have a good fire in it to remove oil residue & toxins, take care as it's sometime quite scary just how big a blaze you can get off the oil residue DAMHIKT
After you're happy you've had a long enough fire to burn off everything that could tarnish your food when used as a BBQ, just use it as if is.

I've used quite a few oil drums as incinerators down the allotment, they work well but don't last long particularly if water is left to stand in them.
Thanks for reply,

Wife will not accept your suggestion as drum is really filthy externally. Are you saying even high heat resist paint would come off ? The kind used for woodburning stoves ?

Honest answer is I don't know re heat resistant paint, I didn't think woodturning stoves were painted.

A quick google suggests 650 degrees is maximum for most of these paints that I looked at which is similar to what charcoals can get to.

skronk":1x22ld1d said:
Are you saying even high heat resist paint would come off ?

Rustins do a High Heat Resistant paint specifically for wood burners BBQs etc,

Don't waste your time and money, it doesn't work. I paid £8.30 for 250ml
Either my gas bottle wood burner gets hotter than 600 c or the paint just can't take heat, either way that's one you can avoid.

n0legs":159m0xzv said:
skronk":159m0xzv said:

Either my gas bottle wood burner gets hotter than 600 c or the paint just can't take heat, either way that's one you can avoid.

Thanks for that !!..........That was the very one I was going to use !

Oh well.......square one again !!

skronk":12ft870p said:
n0legs":12ft870p said:
skronk":12ft870p said:

Thanks for that !!..........That was the very one I was going to use !

Oh well.......square one again !!

As there are fire bricks stopping the wood burner getting too hot, perhaps that's why the paint lasts a bit longer.
If it's heat resistant paint you're after, what about exhaust manifold paint?
Please let me know if it's any good, then I can do mine!
Regards Rodders

Will do Rodders. A friend has given me sanding discs...36 grit, so I am going to start sanding today....weather permitting.

blackrodd":2b0sgw3f said:

Its the same stuff :p

Last time I stripped paint off a drum, it was dumped in a forge and then attacked with an oxy-acetylene torch. Then vigorously wirebrushed.

A big cupbrush should see you right Skronk, just make sure to get a dustmask and goggles on!

-Matt-":fjgy0no3 said:
blackrodd":fjgy0no3 said:

Its the same stuff :p

Last time I stripped paint off a drum, it was dumped in a forge and then attacked with an oxy-acetylene torch. Then vigorously wirebrushed.

A big cupbrush should see you right Skronk, just make sure to get a dustmask and goggles on!

Sorry about that, I only saw that stove paint was mentioned!
Regards Rodders

Bit late to the party but I build half drum bbqs for pubs every now and then :)

After cutting the drum in half, have a good fire in it. This will get most of the paint loose.

After that use one of these (sorry can't post links, look on screwfix for non woven preparation wheel)

These will remove paint/rust without taking the metal away, barrels are pretty thin to start with. One wheel will easily do a whole drum.

After that I use rustoleum bbq /stove paint on the outside of the half drum. About £8 a tin from Amazon or similar and works well :)

Jimmyarm":1bk046zu said:

After cutting the drum in half, have a good fire in it. This will get most of the paint loose.

After that use one of these (sorry can't post links, look on screwfix for non woven preparation wheel)

These will remove paint/rust without taking the metal away, barrels are pretty thin to start with. One wheel will easily do a whole drum.

After that I use rustoleum bbq /stove paint on the outside of the half drum. About £8 a tin from Amazon or similar and works well :)

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the helpful post above.
Can you say if the Rustoleum is glossy at all as 'Er indoors may not like that, and I try and keep my de merits to a minimum.
Thanks and regards Rodders

Not shiney at all, a pleasant matt black effect very similar to a wood stove etc. One can will just about do a half drum with several light coats but I usually buy two, give it a few extra coats as let the customer have the rest to touch it up if needed.

Forgot to add, if you make a grate for the bottom of the drum it helps with the life of it and stops the paint melting off.

I use 3mmx50mm angle to build a frame for the bottom as well two that rest on top for the cooking grates and them weld expanded metal in the middle.

If you have a metal supermarket near you they will even cut it all to size so you just have to weld it together like a jigsaw puzzle =)

10676372_10152509504348311_4276109837175033409_n.jpg

10399451_10152593340313311_6821853335121650502_n.jpg

Attachments

• 10676372_10152509504348311_4276109837175033409_n.jpg
    10676372_10152509504348311_4276109837175033409_n.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 1,080
  • 10399451_10152593340313311_6821853335121650502_n.jpg
    10399451_10152593340313311_6821853335121650502_n.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 1,080
You look really well organized up there, in the pics!
Far superior than an imported, use twice and scat out 3 months later jobby.
Metal supermarket? We've only just got steam T.V. down here in sunny Devon.
And I hear that this 'ere colour T.V. is getting very popular too.
Maybe in Exeter nothing for metal work here since Parkins packed up 3, or more years ago.
Hopefully, someone will wake up around here soon!
Regards Rodders

Jimmyarm":radmyy1p said:

Used the wheel Jimmyarm recommended. First class...now have a nice shiny drum in 2 bits. Is it too late to have a fire in to burn off internal residue ? It was recommended to have fire in first, but I have gone the wrong way round #-o .

Will a fire in it now.....prior to painting, tarnish the silver finish ?

Thanks

Back