Advice for building this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LFS19

Established Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend has tasked me with making her a makeup organiser.
We had a look at designes, and she decided she liked this one:

I made the two side pieces today by edge gluing two pieces together, and cutting the slope out with a coping saw; rounding the edges over with a file.
I'll be making the rest of the frame soon, but came to ask for advice with the joints.

I have a general idea of which joints I think will work, but I wanted to ask here to see what other, more experienced members thought.
how would you go about joining this together?

thanks!

wooden-makeup-organizer.jpg

what material are you building it from? will it be painted?

For something like that which doesn't need to be very structurally strong, I'd probably mitre it if it was being finished, or butt join it if painted.

Mdf, ply or timber would all do, I'd rebate, pin and glue the 4 sides, which I think helps just that little bit for strength and glue area on 2 sides instead of 1 butt end although the bottom when fixed will add strength.
Looks nice and functional and fun to make and paint (?) I'd make a couple, they'll be well received.
What sizes do you have for it, I'd like to make 1 for my daughter, She'd love it!
Regards Rodders

marcros":3ogrbldt said:
what material are you building it from? will it be painted?

I'm making it out of a reclaimed pallet that I've taken apart and planed down, and I'll be painting it white.

Thanks!

MattRoberts":14pnq0tg said:
For something like that which doesn't need to be very structurally strong, I'd probably mitre it if it was being finished, or butt join it if painted.

Understood; I'll bare that in mind.

Thanks!

blackrodd":1udmoalq said:
Mdf, ply or timber would all do, I'd rebate, pin and glue the 4 sides, which I think helps just that little bit for strength and glue area on 2 sides instead of 1 butt end although the bottom when fixed will add strength.
Looks nice and functional and fun to make and paint (?) I'd make a couple, they'll be well received.
What sizes do you have for it, I'd like to make 1 for my daughter, She'd love it!
Regards Rodders

Thanks for the post, I was thinking rebates too.

On the sizes - I'm not exactly sure on the width yet.
I'm just going on the picture and what would fit her dresser best.
I'll post here when I figure out the dimensions later today.

Thanks allot

with timber from pallet wood ! I would finger joint the corners so you have more strength to stop it warping once brought into a warm house. housing/dado for the dividers.

Richard

Scaling Using a brush and measuring a shower gel bottle should work out the sizes OK, I do this sometimes,
Don't forget the pics, as I say, nice fun project.
Rodders

rdesign":35c3f2gz said:
with timber from pallet wood ! I would finger joint the corners so you have more strength to stop it warping once brought into a warm house. housing/dado for the dividers.

Richard

Good idea,

Thanks Richard.

blackrodd":3dfjnuwn said:
Scaling Using a brush and measuring a shower gel bottle should work out the sizes OK, I do this sometimes,
Don't forget the pics, as I say, nice fun project.
Rodders

Good idea, and of course.
I'll be posting pictures when it's finished :)

Back