Adventures in Rut Land; the dark side of Dakota?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ivan

Established Member
Reaction score
When I was young (I hazily recall!), to study a tool catalogue was a useful source of learning. Alas, we are now in the age of admiring quotations (conveniently unatributed) and nonsense like this:

Many bandsaw users do not apperciate the benefit of replacing tired wheel belts(?) The purpose of the belt is to minimise heat and friction between thw wheel and the bandsaw blade. A worn or damaged belt can cause the blade to heat up and subsequently softens the blades joint causing breakage.....also cause the teeth to soften and create a poor cut

Genuine ignorance? Total contempt for customers? Very sad, either way.

(?) Page 116. Presumably tyres. I wonder from whence cometh "belt"? Our transatlantic cousins call them "tires", surely?

Bearing in mind that I don't have a bandsaw and have never used one therefore no knowledge of their workings, what are you saying about that catalogue excert? Sorry, don't see what your "pointing to".
Cheers Mike
Edit
Do you mean the "tired belts" bit? I just took that to mean tired as in worn out.

I don't get it either and I do own a bandsaw. Mine doesn't have tyres, it has cork belts on the wheels. They pretty much serve the purpose descibed in your quote.

Cheers
Mike

The wrong side of 60, I've always heard them called tyres - the rubber, cork , urethane etc running surface of the bandsaw wheel. (Metal cutting cut off bandsaws have no tyres, the blade runs on the metal wheel with teeth overhanging the edge) As a tyre wears it may begin to affect the ability of the saw to track. You can re sand them to shape if the blade has worn a dent in the middle where it runs. Eventually they need replacing when this can't be done again.

If the tyre could heat the steel blade enough to detemper it, it would have already melted or charred the rubber/cork/urethane. A somewhat improbable ocurrence, shall we say.

A case of "if you can't blind them with science baffle them with bullsh**"

It's a long time since I've heard such an obviously contrived load of old tosh. :roll:

Coming off the subject of bandsaws, it's getting a bit tyreing.

It's Rutlands that's bugging me, about 10 weeks ago I ordered some dust extraction bits and bobs, they phoned me straight away and told me that everything would be with me tomorrow apart from the 2 1/2" plastic tube, which won't be at Rutlands until the 29th August and they will post it then, I told them to leave it until 12th September as I was going on my hols.
When I got back there was no sign of any tube, I phoned them to ask where it was, 'sorry sir' they replied 'it wont be with us until September 29th, 'thats not very good' I said 'i've been waiting for 7 weeks', 'do you want to cancel the order sir' they said, they also didn't sound as they cared one little iota, I told them to send it to me as soon as it arrives.
Still no bloomin sign of it, anyway, in the meantime the gas board have been working along our road and they stored a lot of stuff outside our house, and I noticed there were 2 different diameters of tube, guess what, yep one was 2 1/2", bet you can't guess what happened next, no, well i went out with my hack saw and borrowed some until bloomin Rutlands come up with the goods :lol:

Whats more is that when we returned from our hols, there was an extra car parked outside the house, it was my daughters, well this caused a bit of a problem, the room on the path was limited because of all the gas boards stuff, there were also some barriers around it, I suppose that was to make it safe, as if as heck as like, I don't know what it is with some peeps but the pedestrians used to walk on the road and the cyclists rode on the path, I always thought it was supposed to be the other way around. Anyway along comes this cyclist, starts to lose his balance, leans on the car and off went the alarm, 'sorry mate' he says, 'thats ok' I replied, the next one came a bit faster, well he ended up on the bonnet :lol: there wasn't any damage, not to the car anyway.
I thought this isn't very good, the car will get damaged before long. The next day it was quite windy and guess what, the bloomin barriers blew over just missing the car and blocked the path altogether, that was it, everything ended up in the hedge on the other side of the road :evil:

I figured out why the cyclists rode on the path...............there were too many pedestrians on the road :lol:

Sorry for babbling on a bit, I got bored :roll:

Have a look at a woodmiser bandsaw, the band runs on loose "V" belts, they are loose to keep the sawdust from building up---and they work
Dick

Martin said above.

Sorry for babbling on a bit, I got bored :roll:[/quote]

Never mind Martin, did you know that the police shut a road down at a drop of a hat these days, they used to put down police accident signs and have a helpful Bobby direct traffic round the obstruction, but not any more.

sorry for babbling on a bit. :) :) :)
Not really worried, I keep off the roads these days and go most places by air.

woodbloke":cpx1ak4k said:
Weekly shop at Tesco?...must have enlarged the car park :D - Rob

Well, up here they already have carparks big enough to land a 747 on. And an out of town store on the edge of every market town, with the usual effect on the town centres. :(

Back