Adjustable spanner. Old one this time

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bod

Established Member
Reaction score
SAM_0003 - Copy.JPG

SAM_0004 - Copy.JPG

Found this spanner at a carboot on Sunday.
First side reads "SDF CROMNA 3/16-5/16'' 8-14m/mS"
On the polished end just below the pivot is lightly but factory stamped "WS" surrounded by a circle.
Second side reads "MADE IN ENGLAND Pat No629200"(or 9)

All I can find on the Pat No is "Improvements in or relating to wrenches - DirectoryPatent.com
http://www.directorypatent.com/GB/629209-a.html
629209-A is referenced by 1 patents. 629,209. Wrenches. MORTENSEN, S. O. Oct. 30. 1947, No. 28962. [Class 61(iii)] A wrench of the kind having one jaw ..."
Going to the web site a 404 error comes up.
E-Bay Boliva of all places! has had a bigger one up for sale, that sold at about £8. This is where the Pat no was confirmed as ending in 9 rather than 0.
Was this made by the same WS of Birmingham that made the planes?
It's a very well made item the fixed jaw moves to stay parallel to the hooked jaw.

Bod

Attachments

• SAM_0003 - Copy.JPG
    SAM_0003 - Copy.JPG
    167.4 KB · Views: 1,884
  • SAM_0004 - Copy.JPG
    SAM_0004 - Copy.JPG
    182.6 KB · Views: 1,884
Interesting wrench. It's similar in some ways to a couple of "Top" wrenches I bought when I was a mechanic. The Top wrenches though are spring loaded and have serrated jaws. We used to use them for adjusting track rods.

The only real source of information on this sort of tool is Ron Geesin's new book.
According to his research, the inventors were Swedish and set up companies in France, Spain, Switzerland and England to make them, in 1948. There were four sizes.

AndyT":3qcl6ww6 said:
The only real source of information on this sort of tool is Ron Geesin's new book.
According to his research, the inventors were Swedish and set up companies in France, Spain, Switzerland and England to make them, in 1948. There were four sizes.

Interesting!
Do you have an ISBN number?

Bod

Thanks for the links Andy. Interesting and Amberley isn't too far away from me here in Surrey. I will be making a visit :)

Bod,

I've just remembered that I was going to check on your question about WS.

The address Ron gives in his book for the location of Cromna in the UK is Sheepcote Street, Birmingham 15.
WS Tools were also at Sheepcote Street.
Their trademark was WS in a ring.

So I reckon that even if there was a special company to sell the Cromna wrench, it does seem very likely that the actual manufacturing was done by WS, as you suggest.

There's more information about WS here - http://www.wstoolsbirmingham.com - but no mention of spanners. However, I suspect that the owner of the site would be very interested to hear of this extra snippet of information about a company he clearly wants to research further.

AndyT":1ijw88vn said:

Andy
I'm awaiting delivery of this book, should be with me this week.
I've seen the "WS tools..." website, I'm hoping there may be some revelations, that can be passed on.
If it hadn't been for the WS logo, I wouldn't have bothered with the spanner, but knowing of the mystery surrounding WS, it was more interesting, just wish the Pat No. would come up with details. (I've got a No 4 WS plane, and very nice it is too!)

Bod

It's frustrating that for our GB historical patents, some have been digitised and made available at the espacenet website, but many haven't. Ron Geesin put the time in, visiting the archives in person - something most of us couldn't do.

Latest posts

Back