Accoya for window frames

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giff

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used Accoya for window frames ? Is it economical to use as opposed to a hardwood. Any comments or recommendations would be welcome.G

I make orangeries with iroko frames, accoya door and window sashes.

Economical to use? Yes wastage is very small provided your section sizes are close to the available sections. Lengths available seem to be from 2.4m up to 4.8m I would recommend A1 grade and solid not laminated / finger jounted sections. Expect to pay about £1700+vat per cubic metre.

It is very stable, does swell a bit in service, soft and a bit brittle. Grain not the best.

Not many dealers, Lathams and International

Thanks for the reply Robin.
I have used Iroko quite a lot and really like it to machine (with dust mask !) but I have had varying success with twisting and when ripping have found it can really move. Any advice on specifying ?

Sadly theres no chance of specifying.

I always ask for 'must be flat, mild stock' but rarely get it.

Your best bet is to buy extra and plead with your merchant for selecting decent stock and return it if its real carp.

In theory ivory coast stock is the best, which historically was known to be mild yellow stock, but Ive not seen that for years.

My experience is thst iroko quality is generally going downhill. The best way to select is buy generously and keep the mildest, straightest grain stock for door stiles.

If you are cutting a wide board into multiple strips, cut the board near the centre to release stress and then rip.

Some boards are unusable and best not used.

Actually, although iroko is tricky in manufacture, it is stable in service. Ive only replaced a handful of door or window sashes in the last 10 years

It sounds like the improved wastage as described may make the big price hike over sapele or iroko worth it? Expecially if needing to discard whole boards of hardwood. I have certainly (in my very limited experience) had some sapele sash components twist and become unusable after putting the rebates in.

I'd be interested to hear from Robin why not accoya for the frames and only the sashes?

As an aside what are the pros and cons of sapele vs iroko?

Mike

Latest posts

Back