Aberdeen Hardwoods

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickm

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone up here in the wilds of the north east use Aberdeen Hardwoods, off St Machar Drive? I need a small quantity of dry, bland oak boards 20+mm thick by 170mm and as I'm taking SWMBO to the dentist in Old Aberdeen tomorrow, thought I'd try them. If they aren't recommended for any reason, will go for a coffee instead while she's suffering!

Never heard of them. The only two places I know up there are bsp and thornbridge both claim to stock hardwoods but anything more than beading and strip wood they had to order I last time I rang. Few years back now though so may be improved, suggest you ring in advance though.

F.

On a more general note, I've found Rembrand in Inverurie to be reasonably good and helpful. They don't stock hardwood, but are prepared to get it up to special order from their Dundee base. Beyond that, of course, there is Dave Piercy out at Ythanwells.

They aren't there anymore. The shed is now a Thornbridge's with a bsp next door, I used to live on formartine Rd. Now I live in Ediburgh & I have a Thornbridge just round the corner and they are fine for the odd length of white oak etc. They are general builders sheet and architrave fair. but be warned they can be pricey if they don't know you.

Thanks, guys. I had got confused over the name; as Droogs says, they are now Thornbridge but have "Aberdeen Timber Centre" on the side nearer St Machar Drive and I'd mixed them with Dave Piercey's AberdeenSHIRE Hardwoods. Went in today and had a look; they only have oak in small sections (up to 20mm thick and 145 wide) but the sizes I need were there and they seemed OK with me picking it over. Haven't compared prices around yet, but 20 by 95 was just under £6 plus vat per metre. Could be worth it for the convenience.
Didn't think of Flemings for hardwood. Use them fairly regularly for sheet material, doors etc. and they seem pretty reasonable and helpful too. Will check them out too before buying anything.

dickm":wp5ghzoy said:
Anyone up here in the wilds of the north east use Aberdeen Hardwoods, off St Machar Drive? I need a small quantity of dry, bland oak boards 20+mm thick by 170mm and as I'm taking SWMBO to the dentist in Old Aberdeen tomorrow, thought I'd try them. If they aren't recommended for any reason, will go for a coffee instead while she's suffering!
Hello, apologies for being off topic - are you the dickm who responded to to the Trash Nothing advert for a quantity of ducting? It could be that my replies to your emails are not getting through. If so, please google Banchory Men’s Shed for contact details.

Oh dear; seems like there's been several replies on here that I'd not seen, having been off forum for quite a while with some health problems.
In the end, pretty sure I got the oak needed for kitchen cabinets off Thornbridge, and happy with them. Ducting was picked up from Banchory Men's Shed and is now happily installed, though would like to get a quieter extractor to replace the saturn rocket Record beast.

Latest posts

Back