A Woodworkers Bookshelf

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyG

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's a run-through of my current woodworking bookshelf. There is a minefield of woodworking books out there. Hopefully this list may help guide someone's future book purchases.
It's very true that you learn by trying, but I still think you can learn an great deal from a good book. There are some gems here.
I'd love to hear your comments and suggestions for further books. Especially those that could be considered 'Design Inspiration'.

Notes:
- The published date states the latest listed in the book, so hopefully it refers to that particular books release date.
- You'll need to have HTML enabled in your profile for this page to display properly

Hand Tools
<table><tr valign="top"><td>
book13.jpg
</td><td>Title: The Handplane Book
Author(s): Garrett Hack
Published: 1999
ISBN: 1-56158-712-5
Details: This book is enough to start a hand plane obsession in even the most power tool loving woodworker. It has sections on history, restoration, what to look for when buying. There are lots of great full colour pictures of various planes. A really great book, and a must for the bookshelf.
Rating:
5stars.gif

usaFlag.jpg

</td></tr></table>

book02.jpg
</td><td>Title: Planecraft
Author(s): C. W. Hampton, E. Clifford
Published: 1959 (7th Edition)
ISBN: none
Details: I'm guessing the book was sponsored/written by Record, as all the planes refer to their range. A chapter is dedicated to each of all the different types of handplane. Information on usage and adjustment. A great book, and well worth hunting down.
Newer versions of this book are still available (through Lie-Nielsen), however, word has it that the older versions (1950's) are better. These can be picked up at 2nd hand book stores, mine came from www.abebooks.co.uk.
Rating:
5stars.gif

ukFlag.jpg

</td></tr></table>

Power Tools
book07.jpg
</td><td>Title: The Bandsaw Book
Author(s): Lonnie Bird
Published: 1999
ISBN: 1-56158-289-1
Details: One of the two regularly suggested books on bandsaws. Definitely worth buying if you are thinking of buying a bandsaw, and probably worth buying after you have one too. Plenty of tips on getting your saw doing what you want.
Rating:
4stars.gif

usaFlag.jpg

</td></tr></table>

book10.jpg
</td><td>Title: The Woodworkers Bible
Author(s): Alf Martensson
Published: 1995
ISBN: 0-7136-2685-2
Details: One of those all rounder books. It has sections on powertools and handtools. Not one of my favourite books, but it has some good nuggets of info all the same.
Rating:
3stars.gif

ukFlag.jpg

</td></tr></table>

book09.jpg
</td><td>Title: Table Saw Techniques
Author(s): Roger W. Cliffe
Published: 1997
ISBN: 0-8069-4268-1
Details: I bought this when trying to decide whether to buy a bandsaw or a table saw. I went for a bandsaw, so in the end haven't studied this book that much. However, it does contain a lot of tips and is probably worth considering if you're a table saw owner.
Rating:
4stars.gif

usaFlag.jpg

</td></tr></table>

Workshop
book04.jpg
</td><td>Title: The Workbench Book
Author(s): Scott Landis
Published: 1998
ISBN: 1-56158-270-0
Details: This really is The workbook bench. Full of different bench making ideas. The author has really investigated the subject well, looking at workbenches and working styles from all over the world.
Rating:
4stars.gif

usaFlag.jpg

</td></tr></table>

book08.jpg
</td><td>Title: Woodshop Dust Control
Author(s): Sandor Nagyszalanczy
Published: 2002
ISBN: 1-56158-499-1
Details: Dust collection is hardly the most interesting topic, but this books does a fairly good job of introducing the subject. Probably worth buying when it's time for a proper duct/chip collecting system, however, there isn't that much more in this book that couldn't be found in the forum, or further out in the web.
Rating:
3stars.gif

usaFlag.jpg

</td></tr></table>

book14.jpg
</td><td>Title: Setting Up Shop
Author(s): Sandor Nagyszalanczy
Published: 2001
ISBN: 1-56158-555-6
Details: This book does a good job of making you jealous of other people's workshops. It covers most aspects of setting up a workshop. It does have some good ideas, especially on ways to improve storage.
Rating:
3stars.gif

usaFlag.jpg

</td></tr></table>

Techniques
book01.jpg
</td><td>Title: Encyclopedia of Furniture Making
Author(s): Ernest Joyce, Alan Peters
Published: 1987 (7th Edition)
ISBN: 0-8069-7142-8
Details: Joyce, if you've not got it, order one now. A wealth of information covering almost everything; tool usage, joinery, carcass construction, it's all there. It's only downside is because it tries to cover everything, sometimes the details are a bit sketchy. Even so, a must have.
Rating:
5stars.gif

ukFlag.jpg

</td></tr></table>

book20.jpg
</td><td>Title: The Complete Illustrated Guide to Joinery
Author(s): Gary Rogowski
ISBN: 1-56158-401-0
Details: This books is exactly what the title says it is. Endless instructions on how to make a variety different joints. Furthermore, in some cases more than approach is given per joint. Sometimes the details are a bit lacking and you'll find yourself having to fill the gaps. Well worth buying, even if it'll only be used as a reference to joint names.
Rating:
4stars.gif

usaFlag.jpg

</td></tr></table>

book12.jpg
</td><td>Title: Furniture Making Techniques - Volume One
Author(s): David Charlesworth
Published: 2003
ISBN: 1-86108-125-1
Details: I've only recently 'got around' to ordering this book. It's beautifully presented, and is a very good read. Lots of tips on hand planes and chisels, with a few projects thrown in. Definitely recommended if you're just starting out, it'll certainly help with buying decisions. My only criticism is the poor editing, some figures and photos are pages away from the references. An otherwise brilliant book.
Rating:
5stars.gif

usaFlag.jpg

</td></tr></table>

book11.jpg
</td><td>Title: Furniture Making Techniques - Volume Two
Author(s): David Charlesworth
Published: 2003
ISBN: 1-86108-295-9
Details: Equally good as volume one. This covers saws, some more on planes and chisels. A good bit on clamping projects.
Rating:
5stars.gif

ukFlag.jpg

</td></tr></table>

book03.jpg
</td><td>Title: The Complete Guide to Sharpening
Author(s): Leonard Lee
Published: 1995
ISBN: 1-56158-125-9
Details: This really is the complete guide to sharpening. There are instruction on how to sharpen everything. The book starts with a description on what 'sharp' really means, and how this relates to metal. This theoretical knowledge is well worth reading. My only complaint is that sometimes you wish there was a bit more information in places. This particular edition is no longer in print. I'm not sure how the newer version compares. Again www.abebooks.co.uk, may be able to help.
Rating:
4stars.gif

usaFlag.jpg

</td></tr></table>

book05.jpg
</td><td>Title: Woodwork Technology for Schools and Colleges
Author(s): John Trefford, Guy McMurdo
Published: 1980
ISBN: 0-7217-4008-1
Details: A nice intro to woodworking. It's like a mini Joyce. Would make a good workshop reference.
Rating:
4stars.gif

ukFlag.jpg

</td></tr></table>

book18.jpg
</td><td>Title: The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Working in Wood
Author(s): Ernest Scott
Published: 1994
ISBN: 1-85152-875-X
Details: Another all-rounder. This book is full of details drawings/sketches. These are very helpful when trying to workout how something could be constructed. There are sections on design, tools, methods (carving, turning), materials. A good book for someone who might be wondering where to start in woodworking.
Rating:
4stars.gif

ukFlag.jpg

</td></tr></table>

book19.jpg
</td><td>Title: Woodworking for General Certificate
Author(s): G. W. Brazier, N. A. Harris
Published: 1962
ISBN: none
Details: This is an amazing book, picked up at a car boot sale. If you can find a copy, buy it. It's a no nonsense guide full of information. It's an all-rounder, covering; wood technology, design and construciton, tools and some history. A real shame books like this aren't still in press.
Rating:
5stars.gif

ukFlag.jpg

</td></tr></table>

book16.jpg
</td><td>Title: The Chairmaker's Workshop
Author(s): Drew Langsner
Published: 2000
ISBN: 1-57990-230-8
Details: Everything you've ever wanted to know about making windsor chairs. Lots of very clear instructions, with basic plans for a number of chairs. A very good book if you want to make Windsor chairs.
Rating:
4stars.gif

usaFlag.jpg

</td></tr></table>

Ideas/Projects
book06.jpg
</td><td>Title: The Fine Art of Cabinetmaking
Author(s): James Krenov
Published: 1992
ISBN: 0-8069-8572-0
Details: This book has a lot of fans. I'm not really one of them. In between all the fluff there is some good content, but mostly it's just ramblings. I think money could be better spent.
Rating:
1stars.gif

usaFlag.jpg

</td></tr></table>

book15.jpg
</td><td>Title: Making Heirloom Boxes
Author(s): Peter Lloyd
ISBN: 1-86108-176-6
Details: A great book for ideas of box making. There are no amazing techniques discussed, although the bit on hinge making is good. It has some lovely pictures to get ideas from.
Rating:
4stars.gif

ukFlag.jpg

</td></tr></table>

book17.jpg
</td><td>Title: The Complete Practical Woodworker
Author(s): Stephen Corbett
ISBN: 1-84309-687-0
Details: A very basic intro to woodworking. It does contain a lot of project ideas. A good book for a starter, but you'll soon be reaching for the books that contain more advanced content.
Rating:
3stars.gif

ukFlag.jpg

</td></tr></table>

Cheers
Andy

Hi Andy,

Just a note concerning Planecraft.

It is available as a new reprint from Woodcraft and Lie-Nielsen. About $10 US I believe.

Good book.

Take care, Mike

Great idea Andy.
Here's some on my shelves:

0854420398.02._SCMZZZZZZZ_.gif

A great source and a great read.

Design books:

Practical Design Solutions and strategies

1561583448.01._OU02._BO01,224,223,220_PIsitb-dp-arrow,TopRight,22,-21_SH30_PE34_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Thos Moser's measured shop drawings:

0806980753.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The woodworkers guide to furniture design:

0854420738.02._PE34_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Illustrated Cabinetmaking (American Woodworker)
0762101830.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I'll add more when I have a bit more time. All from Amazon uk except the last which is from the US.

Cheers

Tim

Tim,

The two Design books in your list are the ones I most frequently turn to. Every woodworker should have them (IM(NV)HO).

Andy - and others - really useful posts and I'll add some of mine (how do you get the front cover image? Off Amazon?)

I sold the Setting Up Shop book as I thought it pretty duff actually. But that's IMHO :D

Roger,
I scanned mine in, but amazon is a good option too.
Re the Setting Up Shop book, I think I must have been in a generous mood. But there are a few pictures here and there that make you think 'that's a good idea'.
Andy

Nick
The two design books you refer two, did you mean these two?
Practical Design Solutions and strategies
The woodworkers guide to furniture design

Cheers
Andy

Andy,

Yes. Sorry I was being lazy with the typing in my earlier post. :roll:

Andy

This is a great post - I'm such a difficult person to buy presents for I always end up with book tokens. This has given me some ideas to spend them on.

The only book I would add to this "shelf" is The Seven Essentials of Woodworking by Anthony Guidice published by Sterling ISBN 0-8069-2527-2.

Mr Guidice writes so much common sense, it's easy to forgive him for his total scorn for English-style handsaws and back saws. He also regards any fettling of planes beyond a bit of basic tuning as a waste of time! He comes across as a very experienced, no-nonsense kind of individual and his book is full of tips that I've tried and really do work.

Regards.

Howdy Tim, how good is the Illustrated Cabinetmaking book? It looks as if it could be a great book of examples to show you how things go togeather.
Are all the illustrations like to one on the front?

Cheers

SimonA

Does it drive anyone else mad when amazon list books you can't buy new... I'm sure the marketplace thingy works very well, even so...

Simon, where did you order your copy fo Illustrated Cabinetmaking from?

Cheers
Andy

My only complaint is that sometimes you wish there was a bit more information in places.

detail in the new edition extends up to and including electron microscope images of esges we take for granted as being sharp... education happens...

Hi Andy, Sorry I didn't reply to you earlier mate, I didn't know the post had been updated. I must have completely missed it. :oops:

I ordered mine from Abe Books:

www.abebooks.co.uk

And got a copy through a bookshop in the States for around £16. I ask for it to be posted via snail mail as I was in no hurry and it came with in about 3 days! :shock: Give me a shout if I can help out any more.....

Cheers Tim, your right it is a very useful book indeed!

SimonA

midnight":3kq08viz said:
detail in the new edition extends up to and including electron microscope images
These are in the older edition too. Amazing images aren't they. With regards to my complaint about detail, in some places there's more detail that you know what to do with. But at times, I was left asking "But what about this/that". Even so, still a great book.

Got a few more books to add to the collection soon. One of which is "Understanding Wood", which so far (the first few pages) is great.

Andy

Back