A selection of Design and Technology work 2011 lots of pics!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aled Dafis

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's a selection of work produced by my Design and Technology class for their GCSE projects this year. The design briefs available to them were storage, lighting and a child's toy.

Carwyn Davies - Sensory lamp

DSC_6135.jpg

Jac Wilson - Desk Lamp

DSC_6144.jpg

Guto Jones - Dovetailed fishing box with laser engraved detail

DSC_6155.jpg

DSC_6154.jpg

Rhodri Pugh - Show box for taking to agricultural shows to carry his kit

DSC_6158.jpg

DSC_6162.jpg

DSC_6163.jpg

Callum Flavell - CD rack

DSC_6168.jpg

Steffan Jenkins - Dovetailed hunting box with laser engraved detail

DSC_6310.jpg

DSC_6311.jpg

Daniel Cooper - Dovetailed Fishing box

DSC_6316.jpg

DSC_6318.jpg

Gethin Davies - Tool tote

DSC_6320.jpg

Jac Evans - Eco Lamp

DSC_6324.jpg

Meirion Evans - Lazy susan DVD storage

DSC_6329.jpg

Matthew Millar - Bedside lamp

DSC_6332.jpg

Wyn Williams - Bedside lamp

DSC_6355.jpg

Ryan Evans - Storage box

DSC_6364.jpg

William Lloyd - Dovetailed Ferret box

DSC_6366.jpg

Ben Baddley - DIY lamp

DSC_6369.jpg

DSC_6372.jpg

Daniel Dumbarton - Bedside lamp/clock

DSC_6378.jpg

Tegwyn Williams - Bedside storage

DSC_6385.jpg

Zac Conti - Desk Lamp

DSC_6390.jpg

Connor Bennet - Display box for football boots

DSC_6394.jpg

Peter Jones - Bedroom staorage

DSC_6411.jpg

Aaren Hunter - Laptop/Desk storage

DSC_6417.jpg

Kaj Parcheta - Lamp inspired by nature

DSC_6459.jpg

Alfie Smith - Eduactional toy for visually impaired children

DSC_6483.jpg

Thanks for looking

Aled

There's some nice ideas there. Takes me right back to my D&T GCSE days. Can you still take D&T at 'A' Level? After I left about 13 years ago they were stopping the courses at my college and that seemed to be a common occurrence locally.

A really nice antidote to silly claims that everything is being dumbed down. I can imagine some of those being shown on a forum like this in future years - "I made this for GCSE 20 years ago and I've never forgotten how pleased I was with it!"

I like the idea of the laser engraving to make each one individual and personal - what sort of kit is it? How does it work?

Incredible ! Show box then tool tote being my favourites =D> -That aside, they all look amazing

Excellent work Mike! Are they all GCSE work? Pass my congratulations on to the pupils if you see them.

I take it that you don't have to work to a tight timescale as we do. The WJEC specify that the first eleven pages of the portfolio must be done within 10 hours, and the making and evaluating in 20 hours. What exam board do you work to?

Aled

GCSE. AQA board. 40 hours design and make including a 20 page max A3 folder. All done in school under my supervision. The board set a number of briefs to choose from. We chose Small Coffee Table with Storage.

Matt Millars is my favourite and most practical, very good. You must be out in the sticks a bit?

Thanks for all the positive comments guys!

Mark - Yes we most definitely are out in the sticks, at least half of my class either lived on, or have close connections with farming.

Mike - That's fantastic work for a 40 project, hats off to you sir!

AndyT - The pride some of these guys showed in their work was amazing, Rhodri who made the show box regularly took photos on his phone of his progress to show his family. You should have seen his face when he had finished the whole thing! The laser is an amazing bit of kit! You produce your chosen design on the computer and for the want of a better term, you just "print" onto the wood, plastic, glass, slate, fabric etc. The laser we have in school will also cut up to 8-9mm MDF, Ply and Acrylic. Zac Conti's "C" shaped desk lamp was cut entirely on the Laser and then just glued together.

Jensmith - Yes we also offer A-Level D+T. Unfortunately I only have pics of the textiles work that my wife teaches, this dress is based on nature and features LED lights sown into the flowers decorating the dresses with conductive thread. The visiting moderator said that it was the first time he'd ever seen electronics being built into textiles work in this way. The flowers were again cut out on the laser, and the butterfly print band was printed by the student using lit transfer techniques.

DSC_7086.jpg

Cheers
Aled

Back