A coach maker making a wheel, Stockholm Sweden, 1932

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caruso

Reaction score
http://www.svt.se/svt/road/Classic/shar ... 77&d=48192

Ok, I'll try to translate the titles in this one so here is a free translation, my best effort:

First title:
By Timmermansgatan (Carpenters street) on Södermalm (a southern quarter in Stockholm) there are still many old houses left. In number 25, the two store building with four windows towards the street, Ulla Winblad lived in the 1790:es. In the blocks around there have been a lot of craftsmen of different kinds.

Second title:
At Sankt Paulsgatan 26, in the corner with Timmermansgatan, there was still a coach makers workshop where the Stockholm city museum recorded this film in 1932. The coach maker is making a wheel using old methods. The work starts by making the nave in the lathe.

Third title:
The hole in the nave is made by help of a nave-borer and a reamer.

Fourth title:
Marking and chiseling for the spokes.

Fifth title:
When making the spokes a saw, jointer, drawknife, “spånskäfs”(I have never seen this word before but I assume that they mean the spoke shave) and file is used. The tenons are slit.

Sixth title:
When the felloes have been made the assembly follows. The nave is put in the “wheel block” and the spokes are forced into the nave with a sledge.

Seventh title:
On the “ aid-hag” the length of the spokes are determined by help of the “salmon’s tail”.

Ninth title:
When the tenons on the spokes and the mortises on the felloes have been made the wheel is put back in the “wheel block”. The felloes are forced on to the spokes and wedged by help of a sledge and a “wedge funnel”.

Tenth title:
When a wooden wedge has been put between the first and the last felloe as a shrinkage allowance the wheel is ready for the blacksmith…

Eleventh title:
…and the coach maker continues with other work.

Very good. Elm is the classic choice for naves in the UK but that did not look like elm that was being used in the film. Was it birch??

Wow he's like a whirlwind, but it illustrates how quick a tradesman had to turn out work to make a living. He even gets round to cutting out a set of shafts at the end.

Back