3 Phase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HP has to be sufficient to power your motor, They are usually marked with the rating.

Wildman":1myldv19 said:
HP has to be sufficient to power your motor, They are usually marked with the rating.

More than that, a converter will have a maximum single motor load which is less than the total maximum rating for multiple motors. It will also have a minimum motor load which must be born in mind.

Fraser, you need to visit the Transwave website where all the products are listed and the issues explained.
Read, understand and then bid sensibly for a used one having looked at the prices of new ones in the range.
Used transwaves are much sought after and you will have to pay sensible money to win one.

IMHO, the planer you want will sell for significantly more than the current bid price. You need to do your homework, set a limit that you are comfortable with and bid in the last few seconds.

Sorry if this sounds blunt but ebay is a school of hard knocks and you have to play the game otherwise dealers will be in there like a rat up a drainpipe for good clean machines and possibly inverters.

Bob

Hi Bob,
Thanks very much for the advice. I realise this about the planer, I will just have to bid and have my fingers crossed. I have done the homework on this, will just play the waiting game.

Re the transwave, I have had a look at the website and not really understanding anything about electronics, motors, etc etc, it is all a little over my head. Saying that, I can only consider what is on the used market, which, on ebay at least, is nothing at the moment. The problem with the last one was that it had no model number, no information, so comparing that to one on the website was not going to happen. I just want something realiable that will allow me to leave it be and get on with the job.

Right, I have bought the planer and had a good read of transwave. Using their ebay page and a used item as examples could you please confirm Bob

ebay item 130707940190 would be too small, due to the planers motor being 1.5kw, and the single motor load on that converter being 1.1kw...

ebay item 160817505569 all good, 1.5kw single motor limit

ebay item 160817505433 has 2.2kw single motor limit-has some in hand, is this neccessary? i.e would the above conveter at max power all the time when running, is this advisable?

as the planer has only one speed i believe from what you have told me, this is the best option. i dont really have a clue what is involved in changing the motor, although the chap does have a starter and says i would need to locate a motor with a standard frame size fit. as that is already over my head i dont think its a good idea to get involved!!

i will be looking for a used converter if you can advise on these three examples, £350 odd is quite alot on top of the machine, especially as it will only feed the one at a time.

thanks for all your help so far.

Second one will be ideal - find a used one to save some dosh.
No need for extra power unless you think you might buy another 3phase machine with a bigger motor.

Re motor frame sizes - I have written all about frame sizes in my motor paper but presumably you did not read it all?

Bob

Hi bob
I did read it yes, but I dont understand it enough to feel confident that I can do it.
Nothing about used at the moment-will keep an eye out on eBay and have an ad on here. Might be waiting some time for the right one. Have also sent transwave a message.
Thanks again

Just locally found a 5.5kw 7.5hp transwave converter which i guess is the equilavent to 160817505482 on ebay. Not sure how old it is but he was using it on a tenoner with three motors, does that mean I can use it to power three machines as long as they have one motor each?! Is £200 which although maybe a bit more than I wanted to pay, it opens up options for bigger machines in the future.

On an inverter, as a side note, the planer would have to have two speeds correct? Apart from a newer planer, spindle and lathe, what else would have more than one speed?

Hello Fraser,

My Transwave is rated at 3.00kw / 4.00 hp single motor (Max load) and 4.00 kw / 5.5 hp multi motor (Max load).

I use a Wadkin Ags 12" saw and I set it at 2 on the adjustable switch to get the volts as near as poss to 415v (if I rip up bigger stuff say 4" I set it to 3), on my Multico planer thicknesser that has 2 motors I set it on 3, on my drill and grinder it is only on 1 so it is important to be able to adjust the volts to suit the machine. ( It goes up to 8 )

When I bought my first Transwave few years ago I bought the smallest version with no adjustment, just for a grinder - within a couple of weeks I had bought a Wadkin Morticer and the Transwave was too small !

I phoned up Pete at Transwave, he was good enough to take back the original small one and for the extra money I came away with the bigger one that I now use. I should have listened to him in the first place.

The other thing to remember is the feed cable and fuse circuit breaker from the main board as these vary for different converters. If you get a second hand one with no instructions let me know and I will send you a copy.

Bob has a great knowledge on all this, I can only pass on what I have picked up.

Cheers, Merlin

I believe that one has adjusement, assuming it is the same one on ebay. I am going to have a look at the weekend. Pete was very helpful, I spoke to him today.
How do you mean the feed cable and breaker differ with each converter? I assumed it was a case of plugging the converter into the standard plug and then plugging the machine into the converter? The main breaker is outside of the workshop, a little way away.
Could you send the instructions please? This will most certainly not have them. How would you do it, email?

When I fitted mine the installation book stated that it required a 4.0 mm feed cable and a 25A breaker. ( the book is only a sheet )

I ran a new cable from my board in the workshop with its own feed with the bigger breaker.

If I am right the one you are looking at is the biggest in the range (if the kw rating is for a single motor), in that case it would need a 6.0mm cable and a 40A breaker on the mains side and a 20A breaker with 4.0mm cable on the 3 phase side. That said the latter would be if the converter is being used to its full capacity?

Merlin

No, the planer is only 1.5kw but the converter is available locally and for a good price hense me considering it. Think the max motor on it is 4kw.
I only have a standard 13A breaker, is this going to be a problem? And if so, would using a converter with a max single motor size of 1.5kw be more suitable? Viewing the converter tomorrow morning so any help ASAP would be great!
Thanks

Ps bob, someone also told me to come to you about the possibility of recommending some digital read
Outs?

fraser":5ysaomi4 said:
No, the planer is only 1.5kw but the converter is available locally and for a good price hense me considering it. Think the max motor on it is 4kw.
I only have a standard 13A breaker, is this going to be a problem? And if so, would using a converter with a max single motor size of 1.5kw be more suitable? Viewing the converter tomorrow morning so any help ASAP would be great!
Thanks

Ps bob, someone also told me to come to you about the possibility of recommending some digital read
Outs?

You can't get 13amp breakers!

They come in 16,20,30,40 etc I would recommend type C breakers for use with single phase motors or 3 phase converters such as you are considering. Even a small converter running a 1.5kW motor will need a proper breaker not a 13amp plug

I'll pm you details of the digital readouts as last time I gave the source in a public forum post, I got complaints from one of the moderators!

Bob

merlin":1rdaxphx said:
When I fitted mine the installation book stated that it required a 4.0 mm feed cable and a 25A breaker. ( the book is only a sheet )

I ran a new cable from my board in the workshop with its own feed with the bigger breaker.

If I am right the one you are looking at is the biggest in the range (if the kw rating is for a single motor), in that case it would need a 6.0mm cable and a 40A breaker on the mains side and a 20A breaker with 4.0mm cable on the 3 phase side. That said the latter would be if the converter is being used to its full capacity?

Merlin

How would i get 40a and 20a circuit breakers on a 13a supply?

I am not a sparky but in my workshop I have a consumer unit feed from the house via a 32A breaker (main house consumer unit). This cable is SWA and goes underground.

From the workshop unit there is a 6mm cable (cooker cable) that goes into an isolating switch, from there the 6mm goes into the converter.

All the 6mm cable is protected using metal conduit. If you are uncomfortable setting the converter up maybe get an electrician to do it, when I do mine I get my sparky mate to check it.

I know it is a bit of a pain but I am sure it will be well worth it.

Merlin

Hello Fraser,

How did you get on?

Do you still need a copy of the instructions? If so PM me your email address.

Merlin

Hi Merlin
I cancelled on the chap because i wasn't sure whether it would be suitable or not. Which, I believe, turned into the right decision as bob has suggested that with a 13A supply, neither a motor change or a converter is suitable. He has suggested using an inverter and he may have one that's suitable and will find out later this week for me. So I'm waiting on that. The planer arrives Tuesday so hopefully soon we can get it sorted! i can't wait to get going with it.
So for now i will leave the instructions until bob gets back to me, but thanks very much for the offer!
John

Hello Fraser,

Sounds like a good idea, I am sure Bob will sort you out if he can - he has helped me out a few times.

I have only just sorted out my Multico planer thicknesser - it took me a while to get the roller adjustmet right but was well worth the work.

If you need a knife setting jig at some time I can recommend a good one you can make yourself for about £15.00, it transformed mine to finish like glass.

Cheers, Merlin

Back